Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:27 pm 

Dear All

Off topic....Been meaning to send this for some time...interesting...

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to a rscheearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but thr wrod as a wlohe. Such a cdonition is arppoiately cllaed Typolglycemia.

Amzanig? Yaeh and yuo awlyas thuohgt slpeling was ipmorantt!!

Ps I get my tuorted chlidern to raed it.....tehy lvoe it and wnat thier own cpoy

Ps2 ......just googled typolycemia and its on just every forum/message board!!.....didn't realize it was that popular.....so some of you may of already come across it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:08 pm 
The weird thing is Patricia - I read it all out loud as I was reading it off the screen!! Proves it works though.

Very very clever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:58 am 
Hi Patricia

Have you come across GHOTI is FISH ?

Will explain in a couple of days.

How do you teach the `OO` sound with GOOD FOOD

and how to you teach someone to spell WROUGHT IRON ?

I know of someone who is teaching children with dyslexia in a school at PENMAENMAWR in Noth Wales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:43 pm 

Dear Mike

GH from lauGH
O from wOmen
TI from naTIon

Curtesy of George Bernard Shaw......

How about this one.......ghoughpteighbteau....

P hiccough
O though
T ptomaine
A neigh
T debt
O bureau

No wonder the English language is so hard to master!!

Is the rest of your post a 'joke' or is it a legitimate question?.....I can be quite gullible sometimes!

Sad, but I enjoy 'word' games/puzzles......probably one of the reasons why enjoy teaching verbal reasoning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:44 pm 
Thank you. I found this fascinating. It amazes me that it truly is easy to read. It made me wonder at what stage one starts to read like this ie. in whole words. It is clear that most children learn to read best using phonics, learning the different sounds and gradually blending them together, but at some point when fluency is being attained the brain must automatically switch to a whole word strategy.
PS I like word games too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:21 pm 
Hi, a fuller account of how (and in what circumstances) this works can be found at:
http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cma ... index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:17 am 
This is why my otherwise bright daughter can spell a word in three different ways on the same page! And not spot the differences when asked to proof read. It is a common problem with very fast readers, who need to learn to slow down when proof reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:46 pm 

on the GHOTI subject - my so told me he does a subject at at school call PHSE ( I think this is personal, health and social education?) and the teacher tell 'em to pronounce this 'fish'..

Best Regards,