Grammars not necessarily the best choice ....

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
forumadmin
Site Admin

Grammars not necessarily the best choice ....

Post by forumadmin »

The following e-mail has been reproduced with the kind permission of the author whose child will be attempting the eleven plus exams in 2006/07:

---

I have one child who took the eleven plus last year and passed with full marks. He is now doing extremely well in our local grammar school.

I have a younger child who will be doing the eleven plus next year and who is not expected to pass. Even if she did pass we would not send her to a grammar school. She understands that everybody has different talents, that she is in no way inferior to anyone else and that grammar schools are just the best choice for some, whilst others are best catered for elsewhere.

Both my children are happy with who they are. The eldest is very bright but very lazy and needs a school that will push him to succeed. The youngest finds school a struggle but works incredibly hard to achieve relatively little success, she needs a school that will value her efforts rather than her results.

I disagree that the eleven plus makes children who do not pass feel failures. If there is no pressure from home and the child is valued for who they are not what they can achieve they will be content to give it a go. Parents please choose the best school for your individial child's abilities, grammar school are fantastic but are not the best choice for every child!

CE

---
Jimmy

How Bizarre

Post by Jimmy »

I agree with most of the above, but I query why anyone would enter their child for the 11+ if they would not accept a place, if offered?

Surely, a child should only be entered if the parents are confident that a grammar school education would be right for their child or, they are unsure if a grammar school would be right for their child, and want to keep their options open.

Jimmy:?
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Is the 11+ compulsory in some areas?

It just occurred to me that that may be the case. If so, please forgive my ignorance. I am an American, who has only been living in the UK for a year!

Jimmy :oops:
Jed

Post by Jed »

The 11 plus is not compulsory anywhere. However, here in Buckinghamshire the whole county has a system of grammar and upper schools and every state primary school child is automatically entered. Parents have to contact the school if they want their child to opt out. Many parents let their children take the test with the rest of the class so that they don't feel excluded or different in any way. You could also argue that it is better if everyone takes it so that the "average" score is truly average and takes account of all abilities.

Jed
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now