New to all this!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pusscat

New to all this!

Post by pusscat »

Hi I have a son who is 10 in June and will be taking the exam in November.
I have been reading all the posts with interest and picking up tips along the way. I noticed that a reply mentions allowances made for younger ones, how does this work? Also my son is an avid reader but not of the type of books used in the papers, any advice??Many thanks
Green Fingers

Post by Green Fingers »

Hi Pusscat

What area of the country are you? Here in Essex age is not taken into account, however, I know other counties and LEAs do.

As for reading matter, I'd say as long as he enjoys reading lots of different types of books I wouldn't worry about him not reading those featured in the 11+ exams just yet. Confidence with the written word is crucial, so I feel he should enjoy what he reads. He can always practice with past papers and revision guides.

Lots of luck!
pusscat

Post by pusscat »

Hi Green Fingers

We are in Essex too, so no help there then!
Green Fingers

Post by Green Fingers »

Don't despair!!! My daughters' birthday is at the end of August and in yr 5 I'd have said we'd have had an uphill struggle to achieve a pass, but she worked hard at school, read loads (Harry Pottter, Phillip Pullman etc) and it all came together about 2 months before the exam. She seemed to mature and everything clicked. It helped that she really wanted to succeed as she has an older brother at grammar school too. She seems to be thriving at CCHS and does not seem disadvantaged by being one of the youngest in her year. I'd have to say "practice makes perfect"!!!
capers123

Re: New to all this!

Post by capers123 »

pusscat wrote:I have been reading all the posts with interest and picking up tips along the way. I noticed that a reply mentions allowances made for younger ones, how does this work?
Over the years, the deviation from the years average score will have been analysed by date of birth. This gives a weighting that is added (or subtracted) to the raw score. Some people think it's unfair, others think that it's biased towards either the younger or the elder child.

In reality, it's really quite fair and allows for one pass level to apply to all children. It ensures that, on average, 1/12 of each entry is taken from each month of birth.

Parents don't need to know exactly how it works - only the programmers behind the marking software! But it is fair to all.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now