National G&T register

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Marylou1663

National G&T register

Post by Marylou1663 »

Regarding the announcement of a national gifted and talented register, I wondered how this might impact upon areas with a grammar school system. Is anyone able to answer the following questions:

What criteria have been used by the government to identify the top 5% of the school population? Does 11-plus score count or is it just done on SATs? (It would appear that they have already compiled this information to send to secondary schools and are inviting the schools to add to the list).

How do you find out if your child is already on the list?

Clearly grammar schools will have a far higher proportion of bright children than in a non-selective school. Will this be taken into account in the funding for the scheme?

and finally

Will inclusion in the national G&T register be of any help in the appeals process?

If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd be really interested to hear them!

Marylou

Post by Guest »

Hi,

Information on the criteria used to identify gifted and talented students is available on the website - www.nagty.ac.uk

I think the schools tend to use CAT scores and similar - not sure if they use the actual 11 plus results. Clearly, looking at the website there are a number of different ways schools are able to use to identify G&T pupils.

The process in my daughter's school is as follows:
1. School write to parents saying that your child fulfils the evidence requirements laid down by NAGTY and ask for permission to submit the results to NAGTY.
2. NAGTY send an enrollment pack to child via the school.
3. Child is given interim membership on school's recommendation which is upgraded to full membership if the child confirms they wish to join.

It is possible for a parent to put their own child forward if they can provide some proof of eligiblity.

NAGTY membership is open to 11-19 year olds. Therefore it tends to be at secondary school level that children are registered. At primary level schools may themselves identify G&T children and there is usually an adviser who is supposed to help schools to nurture these children.

If the school has identified a child as gifted or talented I assume that this would be good information to submit in an appeal as evidence of the child's high academic ability.

There are lots of children who are NAGTY members at my daughter's school and I guess this would be so for all grammar schools.

Hope this is of some use.

Sara
Marylou1663

NAGTY

Post by Marylou1663 »

Thanks, Sara. I was confused as I thought I read somewhere that the highest scores in the KS2 SATs were to be used to create an initial register (rightly or wrongly!)

My daughter's VRT score was 135 (max 141) which I understood at the time would put her in the top 2%, yet we have never been contacted by anyone to suggest nominating her for NAGTY membership. We have not been too bothered about this as she attends a grammar school where the level of teaching is aimed at high achievers anyway, however it would be nice to know if she is in the top 5% as she has a tendency to doubt her own ability (despite her good performance at school) and some kind of "official" confirmation might boost her confidence. I don't think we were ever told her CAT scores.

The school runs regular MENSA-type tests to assess for NAGTY membership, however my daughter seems unwilling to try for this as she hates to push herself forward for anything.

Marylou

Re: NAGTY

Post by Guest »

Marylou1663 wrote:Thanks, Sara. I was confused as I thought I read somewhere that the highest scores in the KS2 SATs were to be used to create an initial register (rightly or wrongly!)

My daughter's VRT score was 135 (max 141) which I understood at the time would put her in the top 2%, yet we have never been contacted by anyone to suggest nominating her for NAGTY membership. We have not been too bothered about this as she attends a grammar school where the level of teaching is aimed at high achievers anyway, however it would be nice to know if she is in the top 5% as she has a tendency to doubt her own ability (despite her good performance at school) and some kind of "official" confirmation might boost her confidence. I don't think we were ever told her CAT scores.

The school runs regular MENSA-type tests to assess for NAGTY membership, however my daughter seems unwilling to try for this as she hates to push herself forward for anything.

Marylou

We actually put our son forward ourselves and he was recognised as G&T and is now a member of NAGTY. His grammar school have not put pupils forward so we did it ourselves and informed the school. When we applied we did put his 11+ results in even though they don't refer to it as being part of the criteria, as when he sat it he was given a position for Essex of 53rd out of 4,080 so his scores were high and we thought it showed that he was in the top few percent. He met the criteria through the UK Maths Challenge and his GCSE results anyway, but I don't think there is anything wrong in sending more info than they ask for. It does take a few months for them to process the applications though!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now