My one concern about grammar schools

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Was actually going to chill out and send them there at one point! :shock: As for me I am a product of SS Institutionalism (sink school)! :lol:

I feel sorry for all of us parents nowadays. We have so many stresses and worries and think we have choices when we don't so get disappointed if they don't pass exams. My mum did nothing for my education, which was wrong, but she was blissfully happy and stress free! I do leave it all up to the school because of practicalities and also because the effects of home educating for two years required me to take a 5 year break!!! :wink:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

8) 8) 8) Me - Fumbling around in the dark 8) 8) 8)

:D :D :D Kids -Overcoming my shortcomings :D :D :D

The kids will be fine, because of and in spite of us!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Dito! :oops:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:
Personally if a kid isn't handing in coursework then written warnings should get sent to parents saying that they will not pass. - of course that won't happen as it would affect the league tables. :roll:
I don't understand that comment.

Written warnings to parents saying the pupils will not pass don't affect the league tables.

Written warnings ARE sent to parents (in some schools, anyway). And sometimes the pupils still don't pass.

Yes, it affects the league tables. I don't know anyone in education who cares anything at all about the league tables (but can't actually claim no-one cares, since I obviously don't know everyone).

The only thing schools care about is the pupils (whether the pupils themselves realise it or not). League tables don't matter. Targets set by outside agencies - e.g. Ofsted - do, however, matter.

But that's a whole other topic.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Perhaps T.I.P.S.Y is being rather cynical? Or just being a realist. At our GS tour we were handed a prospectus, with the usual tables on exam scores, and the latest OFSTED report.
Maybe you should start a 'whole other topic', Jazz, I'm in the mood for a rant! :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

My son as always been ahead one year at independent schools. I'm not necessarily pro being ahead one year but its been that way since nursery so its never felt unusual. Anyway in the past I did get in touch with a few selective schools asking if he could remain one year ahead and instead of them saying no because of social reasons (anoter topic!) they said it would affect their league tables!!! Only my experience.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I've taught children a year younger in state schools - it doesn't affect the league tables as the results can count - what does matter is if they drop down a year.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

sycamore wrote:Perhaps T.I.P.S.Y is being rather cynical? Or just being a realist. At our GS tour we were handed a prospectus, with the usual tables on exam scores, and the latest OFSTED report.
Tables of GCSE results for the school? Or copies of League tables showing the school's position in relation to the others in the county?

The former is standard, the latter is not.

Schools care about results, yes. The results that matter being the ones where each child achieves they best of which they are capable.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

We were given very detailed information on GCSE and A level grades, and SAT scores with comparisons to the national average. I'm sure this is standard. The figures look very impressive but you would expect this from a selective school.

Since we only have 2 selective schools in our county (one for boys, the other for girls), both of which are known to be among the best nationally, it would seem pointless to compare their results with other local schools.

I do remember that when I was at GS all those years ago, if any child looked unlikely to pass exams, or even to gain below a C grade, warning letters were sent, parents were called in etc. Ultimately there was the possibility of dropping the subject in question altogether unless progress was made. Was this for the good of the child or to avoid poor grades appearing on the results tables?

Even though GS are selective, so are parents, especially in areas where there is a choice of 'good schools'. League tables and OFSTED reports are only part of the way we can judge schools. In my opinion schools are too concerned with league tables and results and sometimes forget that they are there to educate each child as an individual.

And that's a whole new topic, too!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

But again, detailed exam information, and comparison of SATs with the national average.

This information is not the same as league tables.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now