Assessing our DD

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum3

Post by mum3 »

Absolutely agree with katel in principle BUT it depends on the grammar school for which you are applying....very selective grammar schools will be full of pupils with 3 x level 5 SATs, not particularly fair but that is the way it is....that is to say those with 3 x level 4s would, I am sure, be perfectly ok but it is the degree of competition to get in to these 'super' selectives that naturally leads them to select the top of the top!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I think people may also be confusing the requirements of selective schools and super-selective schools. The latter administer their own selection tests and take candidates in order of marks achieved. Ordinary selectives tend to use distance rather than scores as the criteria for allocating places to children who have passed the lea-run tests.

So, I think a child with a level 4 at the end of year 5 (and perhaps at the end of year 6) might still pass the 11+ and get a place at a selective school. However, to get a place at a super-selective school they will probably need to be much better at maths.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Mum3 - we both submitted similar posts at more or less the same time!
katel

Post by katel »

Let me introduce you to my daughter, KB!
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

mum3 wrote:very selective grammar schools will be full of pupils with 3 x level 5 SATs
3x Level 5 in Year 5 or 3x Level 5 in Year 6?
Animis opibusque parati
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

SAT's etc are a very good indicator, but ultimately it all rests upon what happens on the day(s) of tests. My DS was 2 x Level 5 and 1 x Level 4A in Year 5, therefore predicted all Level 5's for SAT's just taken. He didn't get the required 11+ results for Grammar (not super-selective). We've been told in no uncertain terms that appeal extremely unlikely to be upheld, due to oversubscription, so he will be going to a pretty mediocre secondary school, and we know that there will be large numbers going to the local Grammars with Level 4 SAT's (and some below that!) - and they will do very well. My point is, don't take it as read that Level 5's at Year 5 will get to Grammar. Level 4's that get to the Grammar seem to do very well, and don't seem to struggle (I'm talking non super-selectives, here)
KB

Post by KB »

Katel
None of my posts have been intended to question the abilty of any particular children or question whether any of those at selective schools should be there nor imply that NC levels / 11+ scores indicate performance at a later stage.
I was simply providing information that I have gained over the last 8 or so years in our particular area with the intention of helping answer someone's question.
I had intended to make it clear that I was talking only about our local area, which does have what other posters call ' super selectives' although here they are just known as 'selectives' as we don't have any others!
There will always be exceptions - I can only talk from my experience of the results in schools / families I have been associated with.
I am very sorry if you felt that I was in any way be-littling children who are not at a particular level at any time - I have 3 children with SLDs and am very aware of how children have different strengths and weaknesses and mature at different ages.
On a purely personal level - I have a much higher opinion of children who work with what they have to achieve their full potential than those who are super-bright & just coast along with the minimum effort :)
Please accept my apologies - I really didn't mean to cause offence :(
fm

Post by fm »

In support of KB, my area (Birmingham) also has grammar schools which select only the top 5 to 10%, and, in my experience, children do largely have to be on level 5 maths and high 4 English at the end of year 5 to be in with a real chance.

Clearly different parts of the country have different expectations. If an exam is comprised of non-verbal and verbal, then what is happening at school is not so relevant.

I am also a great believer in different rates of development. Some children reach their maximum height early, others are still growing at 17. I think a similar thing happens with intellectual development.

But then this is an argument against grammar schools. Children are being judged at 11 when some are yet to mature.
katel

Post by katel »

Oh Lord, I'm sorry KB - I was trying to be flippant and it went wrong. What I was trying to say is that reading this forum can give newcomers the impression that only exceptional children have a hope of getting to grammar school - and I don't think that's true. My dd got 554 in her year 6 SATS and passed her 11+ (the maths paper by 2 marks!!) and is happy and thriving at a high achieving grammar school. She's not one of the high fliers - but she is happy and working to her capacity and that's fine by me. I do worry that people might be put off trying by comparing their children to the really top flight.

I'm eally sorry if I upset anyone - and I can assure everyone that I wasn't upset by anyting anyone said!
KB

Post by KB »

Hi katel
Glad we are all friends again :)