10+ exams

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SusanJ

10+ exams

Post by SusanJ »

I have been looking at websites for independant secondary schools and notice that a couple in our area offer 10+ exams. One has a 10+ form and the other for 11+ entry.
As my child is presently in the state sector I can't judge from the information given online what would be the scenario where 10+ entrance would be worth considering. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about 10+ versus 11+ entrance?
usa

Post by usa »

Dear Susan
The only thing I am aware of is that you have a much higher chance of getting in at age 10 than at age 11.
I know that Kingston GS (private) have these 2 exams. As of a few years ago, the child had a 1 in 4 chance of obtaining a place at age 10, but at age 11 this went up to a 1 in 8 chance. A lot of these schools will let the child sit at 10 and if they do not pass, they can have another go at age 11.
The only "disadvantage" is that it is an extra 1 year school fees! Maybe worth it for peace of mind though? Also, should they pass it is a great way of setting in earlier and not having the pressure of the 11+. Does come down to money though in the end, if you are state now. Worth giving it a go though maybe, just for interest.
Good luck
USA

Post by Guest »

We considered 10+ entry for our son. There are fewer 10+ places to compete for, as opposed to 11+, but then there are often fewer applicants at this entry level. If you think your child stands a good chance, and wouldnt mind leaving their presennt school a year early, not to mention their friends, then give a go. Good luck!
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thank you to both USA and guest for your replies. I've now worked out how to post properly, I hope.
As my son is just about to start Junior School, we'll see how he settles in, and then revisit the whole entrance exams thing.
Susan

Post by Guest »

Hi
used to be the case that in Leicestershire and a few other places there were middle schools where the primary finished at the end of year 5 and the kids moved on. (still are some I think) - some of the independents used to have a lower one form or whatever it was called (eg Oakham / loughborough) - aimed at kids who had outgrown prep school or had reached the end of primary school and wouldn't want to maive again in a years time.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now