CAT TESTS

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ssbjham

CAT TESTS

Post by ssbjham »

Can anybody tell me if the year 5 CAT tests are a true indication for the 11+ test?[/b]
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

At my DS school CAT tests are taken in Jan of Year 5 the results of which are used to discuss potential senior schools.

My personal opinion is that they are useful to a point but January is quite early in the academic year to rely on their results for an 11+.(DS end of year exam scores were much improves on the CATS taken in Jan) There have been cases in his school where boys have had average scores and then just purely down to the fact that there is a particular school that they are aiming to get into has been motivation for them to really work their socks off and have managed to get a place at the school of their choice. Although I accapet that this doesn't work for everyone.

I know an examinations officer who works in a state secondary school and she was saying that they do CATS but the results aren't conveyed to the parents as the school uses the info for lesson planning ie how to challenge the more able students or help the less academic ones.
They use the results to assess the number and grades of GCSEs that the student should acheive if they continued to work in the same way.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SunlampVexesEel

Re: CAT TESTS

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

ssbjham wrote:Can anybody tell me if the year 5 CAT tests are a true indication for the 11+ test?[/b]
In our case they were.

Conditional on going into CAT with zero preparation.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

My sons primary school gave them CATS tests in Feb of year five and again were used as an indicator of thier raw abilitiy(even though lots of children had already started practise). As parents we were called in and advised any child scoring over 111(set as the average) should be encouraged to take the 11+ but if your child scored under it would better not to put them through the test. Parents of those children who were bordeline(on the 111) were told to think long and hard before deciding.

Mel
ssbjham

Post by ssbjham »

Thank you Mel x.That has really helped. My school didn't give us any indication
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now