The difference between?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fatandfifty

The difference between?

Post by Fatandfifty »

Can anyone tell me the difference between a Grammar and super-
selective Grammar that I see mentioned on here sometimes? Surely they are the same thing. You take the 11+ exam and then await the results, surely its just a matter of filling the 120 places (or however many there are) by the children at the top of the ladder or am I my missing something here.

Is there now a hierarchy in the grammar/superselective grammar system?

In my area 650 sit for 120 places and they just work down from the roll list, is this grammar or superselective - please enlighten me.

Many thanks.
fm

Post by fm »

I imagine people mean that the pass mark for a super-selective is harder to achieve.

In some areas there are enough grammar schools such that the top 20 to 30% may attain a place. In others you really have to be top 5-10%.

If a school is highly rated and a large number of people are pursuing it, then inevitably the pass mark will be higher.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

A super-selective school is one which allocates its places in order of pass mark and has its own entrance exam. So, if a school has 120 places it will take the 120 children who scored the highest marks in the entrance exam.

In selective areas, children sit an 11 plus provided by the local education authority. For example, in Bexley, all year 6 children sit the 11+. Each year the pass mark varies and ALL children who achieve the pass mark are deemed selective. However, once the sibling/special needs etc criteria have been applied, the main deciding factor is distance to the school. So, for example, at a grammar school in Bexley, a school with say 160 selective places will take the 160 children living closest to the school who have passed the 11+ regardless of their scores.

Some areas, like Kent, have lea-run 11+ tests operating on similar lines, but also have super-selective grammars (like Judd and Skinners?) which run their own entrance exam and select those children with the highest scores.
Fatandfifty

Post by Fatandfifty »

Thanks for that. I guess I must live in a superselective area then with only one Grammar School and only the top 120 students getting the places.

You've made my day!
shuff

Post by shuff »

Judd and Skinners don't have their own entrance exam, they just take the top passes from the 11 plus exam. The most common score for Judd is 420 (top Marks).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now