Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Year 6 nfer scores
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:56 pm 

Hi,
Does anyone know what minimum scores DD needs to have in nfers (VR,NVR,English and Maths) to be realistically considering Henrietta Barnett/Latymer.
She took the tests last week and I get the results Wednesday.
Don't want to put her under too much pressure!
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:40 pm 

Got results and am a bit worried now as DD has dropped down from last years nfers of 136-139 to 120-125!Is this normal?She was given 5's in her year 5 sats,so it seems odd that she's dropped 10-15 points less than 6 months later!
I'm now wondering if that means she will struggle with the entrance exams,also does anyone know the % for these scores,apparently they are standardised.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:45 pm 

That is a drop indeed.

Is there any reason why you think she got those marks?

Did her tests go we11 or did she te11 you she had any hiccups and with which sections?

I have heard historica11y, you should at least have 132 nfer scores and with practice try to up it by 5 more points for a highly competitive school place.

A11 is not lost though, you sti11 have time to go through the practice and work through any weak points and be ready for the tests in 2 months.

The most encouraging sign is that she had very good marks last year..she obviously has the capabilities to do we11.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:51 pm 

Thankyou.Have just made appointment to see her teacher as am rather concerned,she was very happy and confident after the tests and thought she'd only got a couple wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:57 pm 

That is very good to hear that she was happy and confident.

The teacher should be able to show you the papers she did and you can see for yourself where she lost marks. Perhaps it has to do with just going back to school and not being just that bit sharper..

L5 in Yr 5 is very commendable.

Keep calm and show her you have faith in her abilities and she wi11 pu11 out everything on test day.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:01 pm 

Thankyou so much,I'm sure it must be just a hiccup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:40 pm 

Assume these are standardised scores. In which case it could mean that the other pupils in the cohort have simply caught up. Possible reasons are that you have been coaching/tutoring for some time and DD had already reached "her level" when the previous tests were taken. Or you are not intensively coaching/tutoring, and your DD has been overtaken by those that are in the run up to the tests. Or it may be a hiccup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:56 pm 

Remember that these marks are not an exact science: they only indicate to a certain probability how much your daughter actually knows about the subjects indicated. (Guest 55 would be able to explain that better). A loss of a single 'raw' mark can have a big effect on the standardised marks. Don't be surprised to see high marks vary considerably from year to year. Go on what you know of your child - I think you'll be surprised how well she really did in the tests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:51 am 

I spoke to her teacher yesterday and she told me that this years tests were standardised and with her being 10yrs 10 months she probably lost out on about 10 "real marks" which made me feel alot better about it.
I have every confidence in her to do really well,it's just getting past the first round.English is her forte,if she gets the chance to do an English paper I know she will have a good chance to get a grammar place.
Thanks for all your help eveyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:57 am 

good points, dadofkent and Y.

I think loup67 is concerned because Henrietta Barnett is an extremely competitive school to get into and Y5 scores looked on track.
Don't know about Latymer and probably other schools in other areas might not need such a high score.

Just to point out that my comments pertain only to Henrietta Barnett in loup67's case.