Standardised Score

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

angelz wrote:Thanks for that KenR

That would possibly make sense for the school my son wants to attend. I have read elswhere on this forum that Lincolnshire generally tend to take a slightly wider spectrum of abilities. If this is the case, a pass mark would be achievable by scoring 110 in each of the two tests, which would then be added together to give the pass mark of 220.

Of course, a pass doesnt automatically mean a place! but if this is the case, you roughly equated 117 standardised score to about 86% on NFER so 110 would be about 75-78%? This is the area that has been spoken about as being a rough pass mark (Hearsay I Know)

My son's practice test were in the region of 85-90%, so there is hope to hold on to yet.
angelz
Yes, Lincs standardised pass score is 110 per paper which equates to the upper quartile of students taking the test i.e. top 25%, which is much lower than some authorities.

You really can't make much sense of the raw scores because the whole outcome is decided on your score relative to all the other entrants, and then the other entrants born in the same month.

Hypothetically, it could be possible to pass with a very low mark if the paper is difficult. Lincs had their first NVR paper this year and I think there was generally a shortage of practice material and there were certainly a high number of students local to us who were finding NVR difficult.

In the only paper for which I know raw pass scores, you needed to achieve between 71 and 81 depending on month of birth.

It must also be noted that the standardised score for the same paper will equate to a different raw score in each authority, depending on average ability of entrants.

In Lincs, it would have to be a very easy paper for 85% to miss the mark so try not to worry too much.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now