11 + Exam

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Micky

11 + Exam

Post by Micky »

Please can you parents out there who have been though this advise me when is the standard dates in Essex to take the 11+ for Year 7's. Also does anyone know if there is a set Syllabus to prepare the children for the exam during there school hours, or is it best to do a home study

Any help appreciated

Many Thanks

dates for 11+ in Essex

Post by Guest »

The 11+ date in Essex used to be in January but is now taken in November while the child is in year 6. Contact the Consortium for Selective Schools in Essex at King Edward VI Grammar School in Chelmsford for more information.

Children take tests in Maths, English and Verbal reason, the maths being worth 25% the English 25% and the verbal reasoning 50%. Beware, no consideration is given for age or disabilities such as dyslexia.
The raw scores from these tests and then mathematically weighted by experts. In other words, if two children score exactly the same results then the child who has answered the more difficult question/questions may be given a higher ranking than a child who has scored the same marks with the easier questions. (That's basically how it goes anyway!)

Having been through the process three times, I would say that to do really well in all three tests a child would need to be roughly level 6 ability. No state schools in Essex that I know of provide practice sessions for the 11+, unlike the private school sector but you could jump on the bandwagon and have your child tutored for between £15 and £30 per hour, depending on the tutor.

I recommend doing the work at home, having obtained practice papers, etc, from XXXXXX or XXXXXX on the Internet. It really depends on your child.

Which school/s are you thinking of applying to? Do you have a son or a daughter. Let us know and I will give you my true opinion of the school (obviously my views will differ from other people) but I know enough parents with children in grammar schools to be able to give you an honest opinion?

Post by Guest »

Hi
Your response has just drawn my attention ,

"Do you have a son or a daughter. Let us know and I will give you my true opinion of the school (obviously my views will differ from other people) but I know enough parents with children in grammar schools to be able to give you an honest opinion"

my eldest is just about to do the exams ,
what are your views on KEGS.
Please

KEGS

Post by Guest »

KEGS is an extremely good school. First class in both academic and other persuits.

I have not been made aware of any bullying situations at KEGS. It is, however, not for the faint hearted. The academic "competion" is very strong.

I am not sure, however, how far they would go to keep their reputation of perfection as someone I knew did ask the headteacher what the school policy on drugs was and his reply, I believe, was that they do not have a drugs problem at KEGS. This does not answer the question, of course and sadly today where there are young people there are problems such as drugs. Personally, I tend to think that the more pressure young people are under and the more money their families have (and pass to their offspring) the more chance there is of there being a drugs problem, which is one of the reasons that I, personally, would not be too keen on having my children educated in the private sector.

Please don't get me wrong, I am most certainly not suggesting that KEGS has a drugs problem at all. It may well have never had a single "joint" through its door but I am simply saying that in the case of my acquaintance, they did not acknowledge that drugs could possibly be a problem at their school.

KEGS, would appear to be an excellent school, where boys are accepted by both staff and peers for who they are and will be (not who the school thinks they should become!) and all the boys I have known that have gone to KEGS have been very happy and, equally importantly, very nice young men.

Hope this helps.

Good luck if you apply.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now