Help please!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sycamore

Help please!

Post by sycamore »

Hope somebody can help with this.
DD is due to sit her exams in 3 weeks, NFER m/c format in VR, English and Maths. However, nobody seems to know what kind of percentage scores to aim for, we've heard rumours of anywhere between 75-85%. DD is scoring on average 86-89% but has a November birthday so will lose out slightly because of her age. The pass rate is normally about a third and I have been told that the pass mark was about 320 last year which seems low compared to scores I've seen in posts about other areas.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You will get specific help if you scroll down and post in your area section.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

We're in Wiltshire but that section seems to be very quiet! Assumed that scores for tests set by NFER in those subjects would be of a similar difficulty to ours and of course that children in all regions would be similarly able.
chad

Post by chad »

In Berkshire (Slough grammars) test using NFER Maths, VR, NVR and my ds had to achieve an average 111
therefore a combined score of 333.
The slough exams are standardised to 100 (I think) ... there has been many threads on standardisation on the forum... but I must admit that I am still not sure how it is done. Different areas standardise differently.
The 'top' score of 140 can be achieved even if you do not answer 100% correctly.

see links below for more info.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/standa ... scores.php

http://www.nfer.ac.uk/research-areas/as ... -ranks.cfm

We were told that a raw score of 80% should be enough. my ds was scoring 80%-90% in Maths & NVR and 65% - 80% in VR in practice papers. He managed to pass with a combined standardised average of 112 or 113 (can't remember now...3 yrs ago :roll: )
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Many thanks Chad!
Had already looked at info you mentioned and am fairly sure that I understand how the standardisation works. From what you said and the guesstimations from more experienced tutors in our area we need to be looking at about the 80% mark as a raw score too. Am feeling pretty confident about DD at the mo, but I'm not going to tell her that in case she gets too complacent!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now