Children Tutored for 3 years to pass 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Tim

I agree with Patricia - my son went into burn-out on the 11+ at the beginning of last September, and that may have been part of the reason he failed.

You and your son have done all that you can reasonably or sensibly do by this stage, and he is performing very well. Use the CD for fun revision, and let him relax and enjoy his spare time.

Good luck!
Sally-Anne
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Sleepless Tim,
It's all good news for you. Hope you get some sleep now!

SPIRIO,
I found your posts very interesting.
Most research shows that the right stimulus and environment increases babies intelligence. Why not children? There was news reports last year about how doing puzzles can increase children brain power.
My son was doing well at school last year before the 11+, but by january, his school teacher reported an improvement in all subjects, that I am not sure what to attribute to. It wouldn't be significant in itself, but some of his friends parents have reported the same.
Has anyone else noticed this? Could it be that the concentration required for the 11+ had given a boost to their learning ability? I know that the NFER reckons that it is not the case, but they also reckon that VR cannot be learned. :roll:
bucksmummy

Children Tutored for 3 years to pass 11+

Post by bucksmummy »

i was interested in this topic. i started having my daughter tutored last oct 2005 and we stopped in the summer. then i started doing some with her at home each day. my objective of having her tutored was to get her to the point where she could look at any question on a paper and 'know' what type of question it was, how it should be answered, what the 'tricks' were and therfore not to be scared of the unknown. I was NOT going to have my child walk into the test or even do the school practices having 3 weeks to learn the techniques. I have acheived my goal and she knows instinctively the types, the tricks and even says she enjoys certain types! I have 2 more chldren to take the test in the next few years, I will do the same with them. I completely agree with tutoring at the correct level much to the annoyance of some of my friends who do not agree with it. We have to prepare our children as best we can. It is our duty.
thanks to eveyone who uses this site and all the help and support.
Passerby

Post by Passerby »

Catherine,

It stands to reason that there has been a noticeable improvement in your son's overall performance. After all practice in 11 plus (in this case bucks verbal reasoning) increase the mental agility and trains the mind to read/review more critically. Perhaps this is one argument pro-early tuition/preparation for the 11plus. Though 3 years seems a bit harsh for the child.

PB
MelX

Post by MelX »

Hi Sleepless Tim, Catherine and everyone

Tim I think your sons practise results are a definite indication he will pass but I hope you don't mind my comments that I feel are relevant particularly after reading what Catherine said about her sons practise and actual test result.

My son did practise papers at school and his results were between 59 and 66 over the three papers. We also practised at home and used papers from this site, Bond and NFER and by the this time in the October he was scoring 95% and really understood the techniques so was confident.

His actual score in the 11+ was 124 and he is an Aug birthday. I must be honest, based on his recent practise results I thought he would of scored higher. However he was very nervous on the day and also I think we spoke too much about the test in the actual week leading up to it, my fault I was anxious because I had done his main tutoring.

So as Catherine said I think alot depends on the day, nerves etc.

What I do know is when I do it again with my daughter I think I will lay off the practise the week before the test so to help her relax about it and maybe that will make a difference.

Catherine I haveto say I was interested in your comments about your son improving at school from the January I too had the same comments from my sons teachers. I think the whole 11+ made my son want to just strive for more. His SATs results reflected this. Maybe when the kids get inot top sets they kind of get a bit laid back about learning and they can be forgiven for feeling that they have achieved all that they can at primary school so the idea of having to really work hard for the 11+ is a postive wake up call(for want of a better term).

MelX

Post by Guest »

MelX wrote:Hi Sleepless Tim, Catherine and everyone

I think the whole 11+ made my son want to just strive for more. His SATs results reflected this. Maybe when the kids get inot top sets they kind of get a bit laid back about learning and they can be forgiven for feeling that they have achieved all that they can at primary school so the idea of having to really work hard for the 11+ is a postive wake up call(for want of a better term).

MelX
Interesting point! My son having recently completed the 11+ and now comes home in the evening and gets his electro lab or microscope out and would rather being doing something science based rather than playing on his PS2 or whatever. Maybe they do become complacent and maybe because the schools are complacent about the baove average achievers(Ouch) sorry but that is my experiences.

Post by Guest »

And what happens to the clever children who come from families who are not able to afford tutoring, or whose parents don't have the education (or in some cases the interest) to work the system. Another example of the uneven playing field.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Anonymous wrote:And what happens to the clever children who come from families who are not able to afford tutoring, or whose parents don't have the education (or in some cases the interest) to work the system. Another example of the uneven playing field.
Exactly!