State primary hosting tutoring sessions for year 5?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nou

State primary hosting tutoring sessions for year 5?

Post by Nou »

Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

I just wanted opinions on this letter I received from my daughter's state primary today - it was sent to all year 5 parents. The school is in an inner London Borough with no grammars nearby.

"The *SA have looked into the possibility of using the school facilities to host tutoring sessions for your children. A well known tutoring company is willing to provide tutors for upto 4 children a time, at a discounted rate. The approximate cost of a session would be between £7-£10.
These sessions would take place on Saturday mornings at * school and would focus on literacy, numeracy and verbal and non verbal reasoning.
If there was sufficient interest, the *SA would look at trying to organise sessions to start by Easter 2009.
Please can you email the school, or pop into the office, and let * know if this is something that you might be interested in."

A large proportion of the kids (approx half) go to independent secondaries and I assume the tutoring is aimed at that market.

Not sure if the Head is admitting that kids need extra help to get into independents?

Also don't know if small group teaching is something to be recommended?

Has anyone come across this sort of thing before at a state primary school?

Thanks

Nou
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

a school here had "Verbal reasoning club" and "NVR club" after school which one of the teachers ran, but I've not heard of this.

I prefer to tutor 1:1 or 1:2 maximum as I think parents should get coaching tailored to the individual childs weak points
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I wonder if the school will be receiving an income for letting the tutors use the school at weekends?
Nou

Post by Nou »

The school is extremely good at fund raising - lots of rich parents - so I doubt rental was a factor.

I think what annoyed me is that the school premises are being used for the benefit of those who can afford to pay for tuition and presumably for private education! As far as I can see they are not offering free tuition for poor kids who might benefit from a scholarship or something. Also the implication that the education that everyone else receives isn't good enough. Just makes me feel rather uncomfortable.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I agree Nou. I think if it is a state school where education is free for all then they should not allow this as it doesn't send out a good message to those who cannot afford the fee even if it is reduced.
Bewildered

Re: State primary hosting tutoring sessions for year 5?

Post by Bewildered »

Nou wrote:
Has anyone come across this sort of thing before at a state primary school?

Thanks

Nou
DS2's Junior has sent out a similar type of letter about a company who ran a Saturday school. Was to aid in maths and Literacy only. Not 11+/entrance exams.

Think mainly to boost children in those areas. School is also set in an affluent area, but only 50% of intake are from catchment.
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi there

How about this. At my neices school the head decided to start tutoring on Saturday mornings and so contacted all the parents last year. Problem was lots of the children wanted tutoring just because ethier friends were going and as such parents felt under pressure to send them. My nieces bets friend was actually in year 4 and was still encouraged to go which I felt was wrong. Having discussed it with my sis I just felt it was a conflict of interest.

Mel
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now