Is my daughter clever enough to do her 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sarahtt

Is my daughter clever enough to do her 11+

Post by Sarahtt »

What sort of grades should I be looking for to know if my daughter has the sort of ability to take/pass her 11+....

Post by Guest »

What sort of grade would a ten year old have anyway? Surely the best judge would be a parent in conjunction with a teacher at school. Is your child top or near top of the class? Did s/he get excellent ks1 results? Does s/he have an excellent vocabulary and is his/her speech fluent and grammatically correct? Is s/he exceptionally numerate, with excellent command of all mathematical functions?

You need to be realistic and not just have blind amibition for your kids. If you don't think s/he can hack it, don't try and get him or her in, as I can tell you, the work is seriously challenging and if a child is not up to it, it can be very demoralising and make them feel as if they are thick, even if they are not. Remember that your child needs confidence in the work that they are doing, and if they are an average child, it may be better for them to be top of the class in a comprehensive, than bottom of the class in a grammar school. Just my observation.

Post by Guest »

I haven't seen anything to do with grammar on the practise papers. (Although I realise that papers vary from region to region.)

I find it appalling that so many people have no grasp of correct English grammar these days and they don't seem to correct the kids in our area.

At a school I moved mine from recently, the classroom assistant would say to my son,
"When you've took your coat off come and see what I just done"

I ask you???? :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now