11 Plus Experience - My own personal 'Closure'

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ella

11 Plus Experience - My own personal 'Closure'

Post by Ella »

I wanted to give a few thoughts about my 11 Plus Experience for anyone who is embarking on the journey - and if anyone still reads this part of the Forum :?:

I usually frequent the Berks Forum, but found out this week that my DD did not get a place at our nearest grammar school. Fortunately, we have a great comprehensive that she is looking forward to starting in September. In hindsight, we now know this is the best school for her.

I believe that to get in to the most sought-after grammars, your child needs to fall into one of the following categories - and sorry if it sounds like I have copied this from somewhere else on the Forum as I think it has already been touched on:-

1. Extremely bright/genius level with a small to moderate amount of tutoring/coaching/practice.

2. Bright with a massive amount of tutoring (I mean several years and for several hours a week - and I know it does happen).

The third category which I think my DD falls into:-

3. Bright with about six months of one-hour-per-week with a tutor,

is simply not enough any more!

I'm sure there are exceptions to this but not many I'll bet.

I should add, I know my DD is bright as last year she auditioned and was chosen to be one of the Classmates in Sky One's 'Are You Smarter than a 10-year-old'. An experience she really enjoyed and for which we are really proud of her - not least, because she helped a lot of adults win a lot of money :D

I just wanted to mention that as I seemed to be one of the few posters who didn't get good news on Monday so I felt the need to have a small boast, something I would not normally do :oops:

I also have one final thought..... my DD has a friend (also didn't get in to grammar); she has six older brothers and sisters. Four of them went to, or are at, grammars schools, the other two went to the comp - these two are now both doctors. :D

It's not the end of the world for us... and as I've already said over in the Berks forum, I am delighted for all those who made it. :D

Ella
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Ella,

I know you are making a general post but I think I should address the Kendrick issues. :shock:

Kendrick in Reading, Berkshire does not operate any catchment or travelling time restrictions. This leads to a very high (understatement) level of competition. I am sure this exists elsewhere but in central Berkshire no state alternatives exist. :cry:

Many of the local independents prepare the girls from an early age for selective exams.

The result is that the Kendrick exam becomes a lottery. :roll:

In my humble opinion the LA should look at the Reading School model and have a ten mile radius reasonable travelling time rule.

Alternatively the LA should clone Reading and Kendrick to create more space for those kids that could benefit from a grammar school education. Realistically this isn’t going to happen, politics. :cry:

I can understand that Kendrick has no motivation to change the status quo they can point to their results, but quality in quality out, makes life easier.

Have to declare a vested interest, sadly I am already prepping my year one daughter, but she is weird and enjoys competing with her brothers.

Ella I want to hear from you in the autumn about how happy your daughter is and in five years time how well she has done. Go for it. :)

Stevew61
Ella

Post by Ella »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your support; and thanks once again for all your support over the last few months. I know I PMed you, but I wanted to say so publicly. :D

I agree with everything you say, but won't comment further at the risk of sounding like a bad loser, which I'm not.

Don't worry, I will keep in touch via the forum!

Ella
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Hi, E11a,

Sorry not to have dropped into Berkshire before(You are so we11 looked after there!!).

Was very occupied last week and fina11y catching up with a11 Oldies and Newbies on the boards this morning.

Just would like to wish and your DD a11 the best and to thank you for sharing your news.

It goes without saying, but I'11 say it anyway, that your post now and those in the Berkshire forum have been so supportive of everyone else as we11.

Of course, no-one thinks you are boasting...we can sense you have a dazzling girl who has so much potential and she wi11 achieve her dreams.
and she wi11 have the graceful poise and magnitude of heart that her mother po55e55es in bucketfuls to boot.

Best Wishes, E11a and DD.
Ella

Post by Ella »

LBSWM, thanks so much for your reply - it means a lot to me and I was extremely touched by it. I guess I should have spent more time in Rehab, but as you say, everyone in Berks are all really nice especially Steve, BW, AliP and KM?.

I asked DD yesterday how she was feeling and she replied (in the style of Tracey Beaker) "Kendrick? that's SO last Monday!". We had a good laugh about it anyway. :lol:

Ella
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Ella wrote:I asked DD yesterday how she was feeling and she replied (in the style of Tracey Beaker) "Kendrick? that's SO last Monday!". We had a good laugh about it anyway. :lol: Ella
That made my day, moving on, with a positive attitude. 8) 8) 8)

stevew61
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I should add, I know my DD is bright as last year she auditioned and was chosen to be one of the Classmates in Sky One's 'Are You Smarter than a 10-year-old'. An experience she really enjoyed and for which we are really proud of her - not least, because she helped a lot of adults win a lot of money :D

That's impressed my lot - much cooler than a school place, lol!

And yes, agree with Steve's thoughts on a Kendrick catchment/travel time limit. My daughter applied for the selective stream at Reading Girls School as well as Kendrick, and there seemed to be very little overlap in candidates. I'm sure some very able local girls are put off applying to Kendrick because of the ultra-stiff competition, and the perception of the school (reminds me a bit of some common misperceptions of Oxbridge). My husband actually grew up in Reading, and until I mentioned Kendrick to him last year as a possibility for our dd, thought it was a private school!
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Are You Smarter than a 10-year-old

Wow! :shock: My lot (and me) love that programme. Quite agree, that is real street Cred! :D

Ella, I honestly believe with dedicated loving parents, guiding, supporting and patching up (when they fall), children will thrive. Your DD is blessed to have you and will have a wonderful future as a result. "Kendrick? that's SO last Monday!":lol: With such wonderful character, she cannot do anything but. What a great attitude! :D.

You have every right to boast and be proud of your 'young lady'!! :D :D
Ella

Post by Ella »

Bewildered wrote:Are You Smarter than a 10-year-old

Wow! :shock: My lot (and me) love that programme. Quite agree, that is real street Cred! :D
Glad you enjoy the show! Just so you know, my DD is Katie (long red hair, bunches) and appears in more than half of the 70 episodes.

Thanks again for your kind comments BW :D :D

Kathy
(aka Ella)
Alice73

Post by Alice73 »

I just wanted to add my own view as well. I can now see that to pass 11+ a child must also want it herself or himself, and demostrate/apply their own initiative in preparation. My daughter started to desire a place at grammar some time after the exams, and I feel that I tried to influence her opinion and pushed her to do what she wasn't interested to do initially. I tutored her well, but at the time she wasn't applying her own initiative in preparations. I had to stay with her all the time she was doing practice papers. When I was at work she wouldn't do them, or wouldn't be interested in searching for the right answers herself. I can see now, that it was a burden for her most of time.
I thought I knew better, but can see my mistake now. If a child is not interested or becomes interested after you have explained everything about 11+, no matter how much support you provide, it would not be enough.
My second daughter is due to do her 11+ exams in 2009. She is very interested, now in year 4. She tried NFER maths paper some days ago, and got about 30/35 right, she sat there solving the maths problems with initiative, her determination is so great.
I think my first daughter will thrive in an excellent girls' school allocated to her, but my second daughter should go to a grammar.
I also see now that if your child is not for a grammar school, it does not mean that they are not bright (my first DD is making excellent progress in school), but grammars would not be the best choice for everybody. You also have to take into account your child's nature, character and, first of all, their wishes. Yes, they are only 11 years old, but if they don't desire going through all this themselves, then you should respect it.
We were also out of borough applicants as there are no grammars in our area, and my daughter did not hear other children speak about 11+. So, maybe she perceived it as something I was pushing her to do. It would be very good for a child to communicate with other potential applicants.
This is my view based on the experiences from the last year.
Alice
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now