score allowance for age

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

curious

score allowance for age

Post by curious »

What is the allowance made on scores for the youngest children (August birthdays). My son is an October birthday and seemed to get heavily penalised for just one error in his school practice test. His friend who is the youngest got a score of 138 in maths, whilst my son got a score of 129, with only one error? Does anyone know how this works with the real thing?
chad

Post by chad »

You cannot compare two children in reference to age standardisation... I posted the following in an earlier thread...

The august born children (as a cohort) are compared to ( for arguments sake) the September born cohort.
If in the Year group there were many high scoring August born then the age standardisation would not make such a difference to overall scores for the August cohort.
It is however normal for the later born cohort (as a whole) to have lesser average score than an earlier born cohort..... this is where the age standardisation comes into play.

It is very hard to know how much of a difference the age standardisation will make as the ability of each cohort will be different.
chad

Post by chad »

You could also look at the following thread..... it has other links that may explain.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... highlight=