Grammar school fails OFSTED inspection

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

That's about what I thought. Appears to draw heavily from sections of the population that don't appear much if at all in Birmingham grammars, for example.

It seems a rather heavy handed action to put it into special measures, you can't help wondering if it would have happened if it hadn't been a grammar in a Tory LEA.

Considering some of the schools round here that Ofsted is currently rating "good" or "outstanding" (compared to the "satisfactory" our kids' has just received - having removed them a few years ago from one they're currently rating "good" and knowing the difference between them) I think Ofsted is bringing itself into disrepute at an alarming rate.

Mike
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

I remember a few years ago, just after they started school inspections that Royal Grammar in High Wycombe was criticised in its report for relying on old fashioned teaching techniques and generally not being up to date - at the time it was (and still is as far as I know) one of the best Schools in the country

I think that Offset reports are much better now - but in the early days the inspections were sometimes lead by failed teachers who either had a grudge against particular schools or had their own ideas of eduction which a school had to adhear to in order to receive a postive report. My mother was a deputy head, and compained bitterly about the lack of transparency and fairness of the whole inspection process (and as far as I know her school received very good reports)

My point is that a good or bad report probably reflects how well a school toys the line and implements guidelines, processes and measures. However, it may not be an accurate reflection of the actual quality of the school
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Hmmm. I don't know the ins and outs of it but the head and a deputy head were off on long term sick. The head of Altrincham Girls' Grammar was drafted in at one point to *share expertise* and the head of Sale Grammar is currently acting head since the sick head resigned at the time of the Ofsted visit. I guess now a new head can be appointed to breathe new life into the place which couldn't happen while the old head was still employed but not actually there. Enquiring minds wonder if that was the purpose of putting it into special measures?

Stretford High School, which is the secondary school in Stretford, was put into special measures a few years ago (2004?) They appointed a new head who did marvellous things and their most recent ofsted gave them an outstanding report. So I guess the area has a perfect example to work from.

Incidentally, the exam season for the 2009 intake was the first year that Stretford Grammar School set its own exam rather than letting Trafford LEA's 11+ sort the kids out. It was a total fiasco and a couple of weeks after the results came out they were restandardised and reissued. Not impressive.
guest42

Post by guest42 »

So here's a real-life dilemma

What would you choose excellent Comp. or failing Grammar???
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Are we talking about Stretford or another failing grammar? And which comp?

Personally I think Stretford can only improve from here on in with better leadership. Its results in 2008 were excellent when you consider all that has gone on. It was highly rated in several areas like English, Drama and Music, behaviour and attitude, and wasn't slated for the teaching of the majority of kids - just the really bright ones. I think I'd be sending my child there if that was the school I'd already chosen and been allocated. I'd be taking a deep breath and crossing my fingers, but the report didn't make me think things were that bad that they can't improve with the right leadership.

Of course, this is hypothetical. I'm down the other end of the borough and didn't consider Stretford. I've no idea how I'd really feel.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

TraffordMum wrote:Personally I think Stretford can only improve from here on in with better leadership. Its results in 2008 were excellent when you consider all that has gone on. It was highly rated in several areas like English, Drama and Music, behaviour and attitude, and wasn't slated for the teaching of the majority of kids - just the really bright ones. I think I'd be sending my child there if that was the school I'd already chosen and been allocated. I'd be taking a deep breath and crossing my fingers, but the report didn't make me think things were that bad that they can't improve with the right leadership.
Like TraffordMum, looking at the school as a whole picture it would appear that the school was put in Special Measures because of the lack of leadership rather than the quality of the teaching. Considering the nature of the intake, I think the results look pretty good, except for the brightest children.

Special Measures is not necessarily a bad thing though. Extra support, funding and hopefully a new HT looking for a challenge will bring rapid improvement. The LA will be keeping a close eye on things over the next few years.

There are plenty of 'satisfactory' schools out there that are failing children quietly.
andyb

Post by andyb »

Bit of trivia for you - my Dad went to Stretford Grammar back in the 50's 8)
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

sycamore wrote: There are plenty of 'satisfactory' schools out there that are failing children quietly.
Indeed - "satisfactory" is indeed the new "education-speak" for the exact opposite! :? I recently discovered this as a school governor. If you look up the word in the dictionary, it literally means "good enough". However, if you see it on your Ofsted report it certainly is no cause for celebration, as it is effectively third on a descending scale of 4 - therefore not good enough. :?

This article explains the phenomenon quite nicely: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/mor ... er-grading
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now