Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Review Please?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:51 pm 
Hi - perhaps it's not fair to ask on this site (since I note they are sold via the site), but has anyone tried the AE tuition books? I just wondered if anyone had an opinon on them?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:38 am 

Hallo Bo Peep
Yes - I have all the Maths books from AE. They are wonderful. I need them as my son does not follow the National Curriculum and their maths here seemed to be all over the place. They start off in Book 1 with mostly the basics and probably that is for a typical 9 year old. Some of the stuff by book 5 is pretty heavy, but they do say the age range for the set is from 9 -13, so not all of it is applicable for the 11+.. Just depends how far you want to take it and the time you have. I would recommend them. They are simple to read and understand, the answers are at the back, and I believe they are good value for money. Certainly for me out here, they were a must.
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:07 am 

I agree the Maths books are really good. My daughter's school does not follow the National Curriculum and they have been really helpful in covering topics that the school hasn't taught. I feel they are pitched at a higher level than the National Curriculum as well. They teach each topic throughly.

I have seen an AE Tuition website where you can see sample pages of the various books - the other 11 plus "subjects" as well as maths - so you can see if the books are right for your child. Not sure if I am allowed to insert a link but if you type "AE Tuition Publications" into a search engine you should find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:12 am 
Thank you very much Nou and USA - greatly appreciate your comments.

Anyone got any idea about their NV and VR tuition books?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:35 am 

I got them last year and wouldn't have done without them. I used them as reference (sometimes to refresh myself) and for exercises.
Just one criticism: I found that maths concepts were somemehow drilled in rather than explained in depth.This was good for us because we were running out of time, but if I had to use them as study books, I would complement them with more thorough explanations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:16 pm 

I bought the first two maths and spelling/vocab books following the recommendations on this site and checking out sample pages on the AE website. The maths books are aimed at age 9-12 and the spelling at age 7-12. The maths seems pretty comprehensive but moves at avery rapid pace from writing numbers as words to long division with decimals. I can see when we move onto the higher books I will have to expand on some of the concepts myself. The spelling books are divided into sections of vocab progressively becoming harder - using simple crosswords/fill in the missing spaces in sentences to develop understanding of meanings. I would only buy one of each book until you are sure they are the right books for your child.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:47 pm 
Loulou,

Try the unpretentious and at a fraction of the price books by Peter Robson. I have seen these on the website here.

Henri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:38 am 

Thanks for the suggestion Henri.

Have you any first hand experience of the Peter Robinson books? I really want something that will allow us to work at a steady and comfortable pace and if these are likely to do the trick I will be happy to give them a go.