SEPT 2016 EXAM STRESS!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fred

Re: SEPT 2016 EXAM STRESS!

Post by fred »

additionally to all already said, I did our preparations in a backwards loop i.e. new topic but always going back to make they have not forgotten what they did a week ago as that can be very frustrating
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

Thanks everyone- is there a syllabus of some sort for maths and english? What vocabulary list do you recommend as - I dont know from where or how much I should teach her.
Spelling is also a concern sometimes so - I am a bit worried about that as well. What are the best techniques to improve that?
fred

Post by fred »

I am not sure if there is a specific syllabus for 11+, my guess (or what I did for my DDs) was to cover all that they had to know by the end of year 6, also have a look at a few 11+ books to give you a feel of what the exam is about.

For vocabulary the general advice is read, read and read. I made a list of word for my DDs but if I remember correctly only one came (pristine). You are free to have my list if you PM me.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Perhaps look through the Bond 10-11 books for all subjects as a grounding. We are going to move on to GL and papers after February and do some mocks after Easter I think.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

You ask about a vocabulary list. We just dealt with real life and DD passed all three of the local tests with flying colours. We did find the mock tests helpful to identify any small areas of weakness and could them look at those. However if there are no real problems in first place just treat it as a daily experience - hear a bland word, ask for alternatives; look at short words and play quick games to combine them; have a familiar word and ask them about the opposite. In the car, get them to work out how long it will take you to get a defined distance at a specific speed.

NVR is the exception as it is outside of the mainstream curriculum and the reference points of day to day life. If that is part of the test being sat then do get familiar with the types of NVR and familiarise your DC. With Newstead you get tons of time and the girls always say it seems easy but that is the reason accuracy is all the more the key. In other tests like Bexley and Kent then timing is more of a consideration.
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

Thank you for your replies and advice!
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

I have posted an English syllabus that our tutor gave us (it is a summary version) on another post.

Very helpful for us
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now