St Olave's students petition to Nicky Morgan

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: St Olave's students petition to Nicky Morgan

Post by ToadMum »

scary mum wrote:I know nothing about this & shouldn't be sticking my nose in, but isn't the point that the requirement have been changed, not that they are high (which they are), and that the students (and some teachers) were unaware of this, even ones who are halfway through their GCSE courses.
Exactly. And the school can't really claim that the hike in the entry requirements is 'necessary', since there is a blurb all about the 90%+ A* - B grades achieved and isn't this wonderful? - presumably this has been achieved by cohorts including the odd duffer who actually was let into the sixth form with the distressingly low 6A + 3B combo. The last time I looked (out of sheer idle curiosity), the sixth form entry info on the website still stated the old requirements, though - ?.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

ToadMum wrote:
scary mum wrote:I know nothing about this & shouldn't be sticking my nose in, but isn't the point that the requirement have been changed, not that they are high (which they are), and that the students (and some teachers) were unaware of this, even ones who are halfway through their GCSE courses.
Exactly. And the school can't really claim that the hike in the entry requirements is 'necessary', since there is a blurb all about the 90%+ A* - B grades achieved and isn't this wonderful? - presumably this has been achieved by cohorts including the odd duffer who actually was let into the sixth form with the distressingly low 6A + 3B combo. The last time I looked (out of sheer idle curiosity), the sixth form entry info on the website still stated the old requirements, though - ?.
Last time I looked (also out of idle curiosity), the Sixth Form brochure did not mention the new entry requirements, probably because they are due to come in from September 2017. I found the new set of rules in the Admissions Policy for 2017/2018, dated March 2016 in the footnote:
5. Entry to Year 12
Entry to Year 12 will be on the basis of academic ability and achievement using a total points score in the best nine GCSEs. In reformed subjects, points will be allocated as the number of the grade, except that a new grade 8 or 9 will both count as 8 points. For unreformed subjects A*=8, A=7, B=6. Grades at C or lower in unreformed subjects, or at 5 or lower in reformed subjects, will not be counted. The usual requirement for Advanced level courses is the achievement of a minimum of 64 points, to include grade 7s or higher in subjects to be followed to Advanced level (or related subjects) and at least a grade 6 in English and Mathematics. Year 11 pupils who meet this requirement may proceed into the Sixth Form.
The Admissions Policy for 2016 quotes the old, lower entry hurdle, hence my assumption it will change in 2017. It would have made it so much easier for everyone had the the school put a sentence on the main website saying that the entry requirements were changing.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
margomgm

Post by margomgm »

This topic seems to have gone quiet. Any existing parents on here who can update us on the response to the letter the Y10 parents were doing or what is being said in the school about the general unrest. I hope this opportunity to improve the situation isn't going to be missed.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

[quote="margomgm"]This topic seems to have gone quiet. Any existing parents on here who can update us on the response to the letter the Y10 parents were doing or what is being said in the school about the general unrest. I hope this opportunity to improve the situation isn't going to be missed.[/quote]

The petition has been sent to the MP, it seems (there may be more, but I have an aversion to digging around too much on the change.org site, in case I find myself accidentally signing a petition to bring back Crossroads or something :shock: ).

"Reverse the changes to the Year 12 admission policy at Saint Olaves Grammar School.

by Joe Bloggs · 1,557 supporters

PETITION UPDATESent to Jo Johnson MP

Joe Bloggs

Orpington, United Kingdom

14 MAY 2016 — The petition has been sent to Jo Johnson MP, with an email hopefully detailed enough to bring him to this page. Also thank you for both 1000, and 1,250 supporters. It's great to see how much support we have for the petition".
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
i-mum

Post by i-mum »

Any existing parents on here who can update us on what happened with the petition. This will help greatly to parents deciding what to put on CAF.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

This will help greatly to parents deciding what to put on CAF.
It shouldn't make any difference to your decision. The school policy could change every year!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now