Any suggestions on how to combat "blind panic"

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
heidi

Any suggestions on how to combat "blind panic"

Post by heidi »

Well I am sick with worry and have thought of nothing else all weekend. My child was properly prepared for the 11+ and was getting 80-90% in practice nfer papers but Saturday's Kent test he just lost it. I think he had a blind panic and each question just got worse for him. He has not been the same child since and we have Bexley this week and I'm worried this has scared him so much he will feel he's forgotten everything he's learnt.

Any suggestions about trying to combat this panic/nerves for him. :(
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Heidi, we had the same problem last week when the kids were taken into the hall and sat down in the places where they will be sitting this week.
The school gave them some maths questions, my dd took one look and froze. Then her hair clip fell out which was just the icing on the cake. She promptly burst into tears and couldn't do a thing.

Up until this point she had been quite laidback. We had tears that evening but I took her around to her tutor's house - we had the last lesson already booked - and the tutor calmed her down.

Apparently this sort of thing is very common. DD was fine for Kent last Sat and came out with a big smile on her face. I can't work out though if it's because she'd felt she'd done well, relief or that she simply didn't care less! :roll:
bexmumof2

Post by bexmumof2 »

Hiya, my son also took the Kent test and was a bit stumbled by the difficulty of the Maths paper compared to what his expectations were. He found the practice paper the previous week quite easy, and he has been well prepared for the 11plus. He now seems to be discussing what non-selective schools he may have a look at where before he seemed very confident that he would pass and could go to the school of his choice. I don't think it is unrealistic for him to feel like this and in a way i'm glad he is considering the fact that he might not actually pass rather than it be a total shock for him.

I would consider trying to explain to either move on to another question that they could answer or consider trying to break the question down into stages by process of elimination, something i'm sure they are already do. I'm hoping my son will be more relaxed tomorrow and Wednesday as there will be less pressure only doing the 1 test per day and he will be surrounded by more familiar faces.

Good luck to you all.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now