Distance and Hurstmere

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bexmumof2

Distance and Hurstmere

Post by bexmumof2 »

Does anyone know how to get correct and accurate door to door as the crow flies distances between home and school? I've tried to work out if Hurstmere would be a non selective option for us (hoping it won't come to that), but their max. school to home distance last year was 1.7m and i've tried one website that recorded 2m but wondered if there was a more accurate one.

They have an open day tomorrow and I really don't want to view it if it is totally out of the equation. Although I do know a year 8 who lives in Barnehurst who goes Hurstmere but apparently if you made Band 1 previously they took from a much futher distance.

Any opinions on whether we should consider this as a non selective would be grateful. My concern is that distances tend to get shorter and shorter each year but somebody did mention that possibly the new Haberdashers will take some of the load of the surrounding schools in which case distances may not be as strict.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

bexmumof2 - I would suggest you ring Admissions and ask them the best way of calculating it. Even if they confirm it as 2m, I personally wouldn't rule a school out on the basis of them having only gone out to 1.7m last year, as distances do vary from year to year.
bexmumof2

Post by bexmumof2 »

I spoke to a lady in Admissions who was very helpful making the criteria and bandings a bit clearer. She did say that it was unlikely that the distances would widen but it truely depends on where the other boys live in each and how many boys are in each band.

for example, if 200 boys take the test, 50 boys make it into band 1, there are 24 places in band 1, first criterias are met by 4 boys who have medical needs or are statemented so there are 20 places left open to children on distance, children are listed in that band are listed in distance order and the 20 closest boys get offered a place. A waiting list is then prepared for each band, so in all they will have 9 waiting lists, which eventually get amalgamated into one, that bit confused me a little. She was very helpful. Have decided not to view the school tomorrow but will go on one of their opening mornings, I much prefer to get a feel for a school when it is running. Hopefully I won't have to consider Hurstmere at all, but considering DS other options I think is a realistic idea.
Bomper

Post by Bomper »

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but unless you live basically on the doorstep of Hurstmere you are not going to get in!! When Hurstmere first brought in their banding tests (2008, ie the Yr 8 boy you know) you had to apply for schools before knowing whether or not you had passed, therefore a lot of the people who got into band 1 had passed and chose to go to a Grammar School over Hurstmere, so they were able to go out a lot further. I looked round Hurstmere last year with my son and absolutely loved it! It is a great school but that's the trouble everyone wants in, last year was the first time you applied for schools after getting the 11+ result and hey presto a tiny maximum distance from school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now