Bexley 11+ 2009 statistics

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Some from Bexley go to Kent. I can't remember what kcc told me it was for last year, but I think it was in the 40s. This is hardly restoring the balance. That aside, pushing Bexley kids into Kent is not the answer as it will be the Kent kids who lose out.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

DadofKent - I'm not sure that there are any more children going from Bexley to Kent than there are from Kent to Bexley. Certainly my sons seem to have a few school friends who live in Dartford.
bbb

Post by bbb »

Bexley children are also competing for places against those oob parents who, knowing their child has been deemed selective, decide to move into Bexley as near to their school of choice as possible, before the cut off date of 12 December.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

bbb, thanks for that one.

You can't really blame parents for trying to do the right thing for their child even though it's at the expense of Bexley kids. Afterall they are only sticking to the rules that Bexley council has devised.

But Bexley Council have had so many complaints this year that they are realising their rule book needs ripping up and a new one writing.
dani*

Post by dani* »

I find these shocking stats!

It would appear Bexley children are being pushed out of their local schools. It would be interesting to know how many of these OOB places went to children from independant schools. ( Or are Bexley primaries all pants compared to OOB Primaries )

Has anyone ever asked the council or education sec. to comment on this. It would be a shame to keep these figures to keep under wraps...imho.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Hi Dani, the council are aware at how devastating this is for this year's kids, it's their mess, they created the rules, but they are anxious to get it sorted for the future. Apparently it's a 'live issue' at the council meaning that it's currently being discussed on how to address the situation for future years. They are keen to hear from Bexley residents.
dani*

Post by dani* »

Thanks Tracy, but while the council is '' looking in to the matter'' our kids eduction prospects are seriously compromised.

Worst case senario we would have to look at an OOB school ourselves or an independant which is going to cost a fortune because there is no reasonable comp. for girls/mixed in my area.

I believe making kids travel long distances to school doesn't benefit anyone, not the children and definately not the enviroment. We often get walking to school leaflets from Bexley council in our bookbag. So they want us to be green by allocating our local school places to OOB children and make our children travel OOB as well?
On the other hand Imho it should not really be about the Borough of Bexley as such but distance.

Dani
Lass

Post by Lass »

I wonder though how many of the OOA candidates are "hedging their bets" by taking tests in several areas?

My DD only sat the Kent test but I know quite a few girls that sat Kent and Bexley (from Kent primaries and indies), so that if they failed Kent they would have a back up plan. And I also know of some that have sat Kent, Bexley and Medway. So in effect a child could be deemed selective in 3 LEAs but will only be taking a place in one.

This would become apparent once places are allocated, wouldn't it?

I must say I am really quite horrified by the stats Tracy's posted but am wondering if this could be the reason for so many OOA passes, and hoping it's perhaps not as bad as it looks?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Lass - this year 499 children who attend primary school in Bexley have been deemed selective (445 if you take out the coached independent children).

We have 754 selective places. So at least 255 places at Bexley schools will be going to out of borough children (over one third). Given that some Bexley selective children will live in the north of the borough and therefore fall out of catchment for a grammar school, more than 255 places will go to out of borough children.

Shocking don't you think?
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

Tracy, that's really interesting. Do you know the statistics over the last 3 or 4 years? It would be interesting to compare with the 2009 ones.

If there is a big difference, what will happen to the extra Bexley children now fighting for places at Bexley's non-selectives? Surely many will be left school-less. I bet the council are sweating at the moment!