Advice on suitability for grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

trumpet

Advice on suitability for grammar school

Post by trumpet »

I have a child in year 5. He is level 5 for maths but only 3a for English, However he doesn't seem to have any real problems with verbal reasoning. He is consistently getting around 80% on various different practise papers (Bond, nfer, IPS) although does usually get in a bit of a pickle with the more 'English' types of questions but is fine with anything logical. I have an older child who sat the 11+ last year and passed. He was a good level 5 all round for all subjects. His younger brother is probably doing better on the verbal reasoning papers than he was at this time last year. He has been tested for most learning disabilities and scored quite low on the tests but not lower enough for him to be considered SEN.

What I am asking I guess is will a child who is quite weak in English really struggle at a grammar school or would he just stand a better chance of reaching his potential in subject such as maths, science ect that he really enjoys?

Any views good or bad would be appreciated.
chad

Post by chad »

As a parent with a child that has always struggled with English I can honestly say that the move to grammar school has been a positive one.
While the school has pushed him in Maths/science it has encouraged in English (and other 'essay' subjects). He is now achieving a standard in English that I would have said was imposible given his primary reports. You just need to ensure that the school is the right one for your child.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
trumpet

Post by trumpet »

Chad,

Thanks for that. I think because my older child is more what you would class as a typical grammar school child that I maybe think that your child must be good at everything to feel comfortable at a grammar. My younger son is very keen to sit the test and I have told him his chances of passing are much the same as his brothers based on what we have been doing at home.

I'm glad to here that you feel your child’s English skills have dramatically improved too and that children less able in England aren't just left to their own devices. That's my biggest fear really, that he'll just get worse while other kids get better because he is not getting the basics and things are moving along to quickly for him.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Trumpet - I've sent you a pm.