St Olave's new boys - meet up?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
long and winding road

Post by long and winding road »

I know what you mean mosemant - it's a bit surreal - there isn't a day that goes by that I don' think about it - it feels like winning the lottery but can't start spending till we get there! It can't come soon enough! Are we wishing our lives away?! :wink:
nina1on

Re: St Olave's new boys - meet up?

Post by nina1on »

Hi. Firts, my congratulations to all kids who got in St Olaves!
May b a bit of topic, but does anyone have contact details of tuitor who help the kids to prepare for entrance exam in St Olaves? Thanks a lot!
Treacle

Post by Treacle »

So...How did everyone feel about the induction evening last night? :)

Nice that Mr 'Natch' as in naturally :wink: was able to be there to both introduce himself and for the boys to be introduced to the new headmaster. I was hoping we would have got the house colours last night to enable us to get the PE vests. Oh well...will have to wait until next week.

Could anyone confirm that they said the boys should enter using the main entrance on the induction day and first day in September but this was to be the only time they could do so? I seem to have a vague memory of them saying that but I may have been distracted with information overload!

I know my lad is looking forward to the induction day and was very chatty after last night, firing me with lot's of questions on the journey home.
nina10n wrote:Hi. Firts, my congratulations to all kids who got in St Olaves!
May b a bit of topic, but does anyone have contact details of tuitor who help the kids to prepare for entrance exam in St Olaves? Thanks a lot!
Sorry...Never used tutors as I am a firm believer in natural ability to get them through an exam. Good luck though!
frogsmum

Post by frogsmum »

I thought it was a very good induction and all the boys seemed lovely. You're right they can use the front entrance next Tuesday and on the first day and then it's Park Avenue all the way! My son has an induction hour this Friday as his primary school booked their week away next week and he is really sad to be missing it. Maybe you would do me a favour and put a short outline on here of anything he may be interested in so he can still feel part of it?

Hope all the boys have a lovely day and we will definitely be attending the BBQ day to compensate.

P.S. I also didn't use a tutor but did buy the Bond and Letts test papers as practise. Good luck!
mosemant

Post by mosemant »

For the first time in his life, my son said he was feeling nervous! I, too , thought it was said we would find out the form tutors last night, although I suspect it will be the same lady who came to see him at his primary school.

No worries about posting an outline of the induction day. Have I got it right that they said there would be rugby training in the holidays before they start?
frogsmum

Post by frogsmum »

I got a bit confused about the rugby. Is the weekend training compulsory too?
Treacle

Post by Treacle »

I was paying attention to the rugby bit :D

The pre-season training day is on the 31st August between 9am and 11am. It's not compulsory and I think it's just another way for the boys to get to know each other. I understand the boys will be told more about it on the induction day so will pass on any other bits that are relevant.

Other bits I remember:

Tuesdays and Thursdays are the days for the rugby after school club - between 3.40pm and 5pm.
Friday is the day for the basketball after school club. Same times as rugby.

Something was mentioned about naming all the boys personal items and clothing... :wink:

Unfortunately we cannot make the BBQ on the 10th of July as our flight for the Med leaves on the 9th. We will be back in the UK for a few days at the beginning of August and I am happy to arrange a meet up for some of us. I can also ask friends that are not on this forum, that have boys starting in September too.

Right...How about Wednesday 7th August for starters?
Venue: High Elms Country Park for a picnic around midday?
(http://www.gardens-to-go.org.uk/High_Elms.htm)

There is a cafe there too which sells lovely food. Dogs and siblings welcome and my kiddo will bring a football etc.

Shout at me if I am being too organised and bossy :D
mosemant

Post by mosemant »

sounds great to me!
frogsmum

Post by frogsmum »

Sounds good to me too!! I like bossy - gets things done. Smiling about the clothes naming bit - how to put people off joining the PTA - promise them a lifetime sorting out sweaty PE kits :lol:
Treacle

Post by Treacle »

Great - look forward to meeting up!
We will be there (turn right from the car park and about 100 metres around the corner, on the hill) from about midday. Lets keep fingers crossed for sunshine otherwise, if it's pouring down, I suggest we meet in the cafe.

Frogsmum - will drag any info I can from my son, after the induction day, for you to pass on to your tadpole :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now