Townley Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mrs Jones

Re: Townley Grammar School

Post by Mrs Jones »

Greenwichmum, I totally agree with you about the speech made by the Head of Chis and Sid. It did put us off a bit too at the time. Fortunately the tone of this speech does not reflect the tone of the school which is very friendly and positive and the style of teaching at the school seems to be one that encourages excellence and the development of well rounded children. I think it is really hard to make a decision about a school from one visit as your feelings can be influenced by so many things on the day. Everyone I know got completely different vibes about each school depending on when they visited. We really liked Bexley Grammar but when we went to view the school it was a dark and miserable day and the classrooms looked quite bleak and our DD couldn't wait to get out of there. We know Bexley Grammar is a great school but the negative connotation stuck and I know we would have had some convincing to do to get DD there. I guess what I'm trying to say to parents looking to choose a school is if you like a school, try and talk to as many people who have children attending the school as you can. I really do think that this is the only way to get the most accurate feedback. Usually the only negative feedback you will hear is from people who don't have children attending that particular school - I don't think I have ever met anyone who is unhappy with the Grammar school their child is attending. :D
lashingsofgingerbeer

Post by lashingsofgingerbeer »

Thanks for all the feedback everybody, it's much appreciated :D DD will be sitting the Newstead test too & if she doesn't get in it's whether or not she travels to Townley to go to a grammar school, or goes to her sister's school which is an all girls state school on the doorstep and which we have been very happy with for our eldest. Nice choices to have & realise we're lucky, but still a dilemma nevertheless!
aaliwoo

Post by aaliwoo »

In the same predicament!!!! DD got her results and is in top 180 however, we live in Bromley as well and not sure whether I want her travelling as far as Townley on public transport. I actually thought there were private coaches that go to the Bexley schools but they only go to Newstead and Dartford and Wilmington! Awaiting the results of the Kent test today and hoping she has done well so that I can put Dartford as my second choice and Newstead as first as it's the closest!! Such a pain though that we have to wait until March to see if they are successful with Newstead!!!
tests

Post by tests »

I am in the same dillema as aaliwoo. We have the same choices: Newstead, Dartford and Townley. Does Dartford Girls School have a private coach to pick up children from bromley? The other question is about distance from school at the time of allocation for Dartford girls. Is there a chance for children at Bromley to be allocated a place at Dartford girls?
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

aliwoo and tests ..same dilemma here too.

Are you looking TGS in Kent?
tests

Post by tests »

I thought TGS was a difficult commute from Bromley. No coaches, as far as I know and so I wasn't really thinking about it. Between Dartford girls and Towney, I am not sure which would be easy to commute taking into consideration that there is a coach service for Dartford girls'. Any advice and help would be highly appreciated.
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

For TGS, girls from Bromely take the train to Orpington and then get a train to Tonbridge . This is what I gathered from reading the forum.I dont know if there are other options.
We havent considered Townley as I think its too far from us. Our nearest Bexley grammar would be C&S. Have you looked at it ? I know its a mixed school and some parents prefer girls only secondary schools.
tests

Post by tests »

C&S is the closest Bexley school to us also. But we prefer a girls, only school and hence Townley. I will be going to theie open evening this Wednesday. I still have no idea if there are any chances pf Bromley girls to get into Dartford
lashingsofgingerbeer

Post by lashingsofgingerbeer »

C&S would be our nearest Grammar school too, but DD adamant she wants to go to all girls school for next few years and then mix again in 6th form. Going to look at Townley this week. Looked at bus route but not tried it out myself yet. Looking at the timetable, DD would have to catch a 07:00 ish bus from Bromley north Station or Kentish Way so that would be a 15/20 min walk to the bus stop, then a 50 minute bus journey (on a good day!) and then I don't know if the bus stops outside the school yet or there is another walk to factor in. School ticks all the right boxes for her strengths, but as I've said above, her sister goes to a great all girls state school in Chislehurst, leaves at 07:20 a.m. on one bus journey, or she can walk it too and comes out of school at 3:15 pm and can be back home at 3.45 pm most days. I also look at the amount of homework DD1 is getting now going into the GCSE years and it's a lot to juggle with after school stuff too.

Ho hum, what to do and the CAF form has to be in by Friday!!!!! :shock:
aaliwoo

Post by aaliwoo »

Tests, spoke to Dartford Grammar for Girls and last year you needed a score of 402 to get in from where we are. So will be able to put Dartford as second choice for DD if she scores highly. She got a brilliant result in the Bexley test but did say the Kent was harder so lets wait and see! Wilmington Girls catchment has gone out to Bromley, Catford, Lewisham in the past five years so should have no problem getting a place for her there. Dartford and Wilmington coaches leave from traffic lights at Shortlands which is good as well!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now