Please help - Sticky situation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

soundofmusic

Please help - Sticky situation

Post by soundofmusic »

Hi All

I wonder if anyone out there can shed some lights on the dilemma i am having. Situation is my daughter has passed the Bexley's test with 244 points which is 7 points short of making the top 180. We live in Bromley and was told that it will now go on distance as to whether she gets an offer or not for a Bexley grammar school.

When my daughter was sitting the Maths test, one of her friend was crying hysterically and instead of dealing with this in a different way, the examiner asked my daughter to move her table to sit next to her distressed friend to comfort her! My daughter came out of the test quite distressed about this. I contacted Bexley's admission to let them know what had happened cause i do think this has affected my daughter's concentration and was told i could get the HT to review but unlikely to have an allowance for 7 points. I am meeting with the HT tomorrow but am I clutching at a thin straw here??

Please help.
dani*

Re: PLEASE HELP - STICKY SITUATION

Post by dani* »

Are you sure you do not qualify on distance alone? Depending on where in Bromley you are, Bexley GS might be difficult but both Towley and C&S seem to have a rather large catchment area. (based on the last 5 years)
soundofmusic

Post by soundofmusic »

Yes i think Chisl and Sid was 5.9 miles last year and i think we are 4.2 miles away so there may be a chance. Does anyone know which is the best website to work out the most accurate distance from home to school? Thanks
dani*

Post by dani* »

I think they are all more or less the same. However in Bexley distance is measured over the road not as the crow flies like it is in Bromley. If you are indeed about 4.2 miles away you should be ok for C&S based on the distance over the last 5 years.

Also the fact that you need top 180 to get in to a Bexley GS for OCC candidates is a myth. There are so many OCC children who did not get in the top 180 in Bexley GS, as long as you are somewhere within the catchment area based on the last 5 years.

Townley went out 7 miles 2 years ago and offered places to all applicants last year, perhaps worth considering as a back up.

Good Luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now