Numbers deemed selective this year

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Me2010

Numbers deemed selective this year

Post by Me2010 »

Hi All,

I have followed many helpful threads in the run up to the 11+ and luckily our DD passed. But we are OOC so I phoned Bexley today to ask about the pass mark being 1 point lower than last year. I asked whether this was because the paper was harder so the same number of children are deemed selective or whether more children got through. She said 4,500 sat and this year they have deemed 1,500 selective. Last year it was 1,200. She said it is always between 1,200 and 1,500. I asked her if this meant the distances would really close in if more children had "passed" and she said she didn't know. Having spoken to friends about this the general opinion seems to be this will stop the OOC's getting in and will mean more Bexley children get places.

Just wondered what others thoughts were on this?

Me
Ang's mom

Re: Numbers deemed selective this year

Post by Ang's mom »

I doubt this will stop "the OCC's getting in" as the dreaded OCC children would have to be one among the top 180 scorers to stand a chance anyway.
Of this 180, a large number of them would have written the Kent or/and Bromley exams too (case in point my DD and half of her class). Of this cohort, a large number would go for the Kent schools for a variety of reason (some being - ease of travel, single sex, super selective status etc). This would free up quite a number of seats which would again only go to the high scorers(those that come after the 180). The rest of it anyway go by distance.

This is my assumption of the scenario, someone please correct me if I am wrong
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

If the distances do close in then this will have a detrimental effect on some Bexley children - those north of the borough. Don't forget there are many 'out of borough' children who live closer to Bexley's grammar schools than some Bexley children do.
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

Not every children will take their place. At least I know 3 that passed both Kent and Bexley so do not worry if you are not close to Bexley Grammar, you might have problem although last year they admit up to Blackheat and Greenwich. Children stand more chance in Townley and Beth. I also they are now thinking of how to bring more Bexley children but distance might not be the best as some of us are in bexley but sharing boundary with Kent such as part of Crayford know as West Dartford. Just make your selection and if you can move home, good luck as they will give you up to December 10 to change address. Bexley do take children up to Lewisham not "Top 180"
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Hi Me, as soon as I heard that there more takers and the passed mark had gone own by 1, I immediately thought that the distances would shrink. As for the council not knowing, oh yes they do!
Me2010

Post by Me2010 »

Thanks for your replies. I guess it has just put me in a complete spin. We are in the borough of Lewisham so on the outskirts of places offered in recent years and were hoping for Townley as they had offered all applicants last year but it seems that is becoming a distant dream.
dani*

Post by dani* »

I wonder how Bexley decide as to how many children are deemed selective. If 1500 are deemed selective that would be roughly 2 children for each GS place. However in case a fair share of these children are from the Dartford area, it is unlikely they will take up the Bexley places and go for local schools instead, in same way as Bexley children are likely to go for their local schools. A friend with children at an Indie said that at her school a lot of people have taken the Kent and Bexley tests as practice /backup in the event they don't get their first choice Indie. Would will be interesting to see how far Bexley schools will go out this year, but considering the extra numbers compared to last year I would not be surprised if this year the catchment areas will be smaller.