NFER and Bexley pass mark for guranteed place?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
shahinoor

NFER and Bexley pass mark for guranteed place?

Post by shahinoor »

Hi,

I have purchased NFER papers for 11 plus VR and Maths.

Does anyone have any idea what mark we should be aiming to get a guranteed place at Bexley grammar schools? (ie to be in the top 180).

I know this will be just a finger in the air ...but at least to have a good idea would be great

Thanks

Shahinoor
aaliwoo

Re: NFER and Bexley pass mark for guranteed place?

Post by aaliwoo »

Hi
My daughter recently achieved the Top 180 in the Bexley exam. She is telling me now that she would normally only drop about 3 or less marks in the NFER papers. We didn't concentrate on any maths as we only entered her into the Bexley exam for practice. She has always been in top sets at school and as we entered her for Newstead Wood there was no need to practice any maths. Hope this is of help!
shahinoor

Post by shahinoor »

Hi thanks fo rthe reply..what mark did your daughter get?

Thanks

Shahinoor
dani*

Post by dani* »

I remember DD told me that the questions in the Bexley Maths paper were nothing like the NFER papers. :shock:
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

shahinoor wrote:
Does anyone have any idea what mark we should be aiming to get a guranteed place
Hi
Only mark that can garantee a place is 100%.

HD
shahinoor

Post by shahinoor »

>>>>>>>>>>>I remember DD told me that the questions in the Bexley Maths paper were nothing like the NFER papers

Anyone else know what else should be used if NFER are nothing like the Maths papers? I guess Bond papers?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

does this help?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ey-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shahinoor

Post by shahinoor »

Mmm Not really ...doesn't give n idea of what mark to be aiming at to have chance of reacing the top 180

Selective standard means those who pass the test?

>> There is no pre-set ‘pass’ mark. The two standardised scores are added together to give a total, and children are ranked according to the total score. Both tests carry equal weight. In 2008, 4520 children sat all the tests and 1294 achieved the selective standard, with 814 selective places available. The 180 children with the highest scores are guaranteed a place at their preferred grammar school in Bexley.
dani*

Post by dani* »

Shahinoor,

For the 11+ taken in Sept 2010 the top 180 was 251 out of 280 available marks, the mark at which children are deemed selective was 218.

For the test taken in Sept 2009 the pass mark was 219, however I can not remember what the top 180 mark was. I'm sure it is on these boards here somewhere but it might be quicker to ring or e-mail Bexley Admissions if you really want to know.

I don't know where you live, but if you live within reasonable distance from your preferred school you may not need a top 180 place. Over the last few years a considerable number of places have been allocated to children who do not live in Bexley and did not score within the top 180 but still live within the catchment area of the school. You can find the average distance for the last 5 years in the admission brochure. It will be interesting to see that the distance will be this year considering more children were deemed selective.

In terms of what mark to aim for, I guess the only answer is the highest possible one you can achieve. Last year a few people said that the mark to aim for in the NFER papers was 90% and that this is the mark that a lot of Indies aim for when preparing their children. From personal experience I can say that DD managed to get this level in the NFER practice papers, however only just within the time allowed. However, she managed to finish the real tests with loads of time to spare and said the questions were easier than the NFER practice papers.

Hope this helps.
shahinoor

Post by shahinoor »

Great thanks dani,

Can I ask how did your child prepare for the 11 plus?

Thanks

Shahinoor