Bromley High School for Girls V Townley Grammar for girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
youngmum

Re: Bromley High School for Girls V Townley Grammar for girl

Post by youngmum »

Pemble wrote:Of course the Bromley High Head is warm and welcoming - I don't doubt that the school is a very good establishment and offers a nuturing and strong learning environment. However, it is a business and parents are paying for a service. The Head at Townley, on the other hand, does not need the put on an additional service by inviting dithering parents to come back for a second look (that is part of the open evening/day process in October last year!). There will always be children available to fill the places unlike independent schools in a recession.

Quite frankly, I find it appalling that parents are still holding onto 2 places at separate schools a month after the allocations came out. I feel sorry for parents who are on grammar school waiting lists, desperate to know whether their child will get a place.

You should make your minds up as soon as possible. And - before you ask - I am a parent of a private school pupil!

Lucky you that its so easy to make a decision. Yes i sympathise with people on the waiting list but my first concern is my dd as I am sure your first concern will be your dd too.
We are fortunate to have got two offers and frankly its up to us as a family what we decide to do and when we decide to do that too.
Wish I had the ££s flowing in my acct like some and I did not have to think carefully about the decision before making it.
Pemble

Post by Pemble »

The decision was easy to make as we no longer have the £££'s to send our child to a private secondary school and we are going to do the grammar route. I wish I had the money to have the choice but it is not to be. You are quite right to point out that it is your decision as a family which school your daughter goes to. I just consider it unfair on other less advantaged parents that they have to wait until people finally make their decision as there is no final "cut off" decision date. Put yourself in their position - will they have to wait until the beginning of September before they can buy the correct uniform etc?
Pemble wrote:Lucky you that its so easy to make a decision. Yes i sympathise with people on the waiting list but my first concern is my dd as I am sure your first concern will be your dd too.
We are fortunate to have got two offers and frankly its up to us as a family what we decide to do and when we decide to do that too.
Wish I had the ££s flowing in my acct like some and I did not have to think carefully about the decision before making it.
youngmum

Post by youngmum »

I appreciate where you are coming from and to be honest its been really hard on us too having to make a decision that will affect the rest of our dd's life and possibly our family life as well.

I am relieved that we have come to a final decision and a lucky child can get her rightful place. Trsut me I have had sleepless nights on this as there was a lot of things to consider.

I did not think it was fair to let her to go Bromely and have to leave because we could not afford fees and at the same time because of her personality and the way she learns, I was not quite sure Townley was the right place for her.

We also did not get a chance to see the school properly as am sure you are aware of the number of people that go to these days are huge and in the winter, it was hard to see it properly in the evening. I missed the day session due to an emergency, so lots of what we had to go on was what other people thought.

Thankfully we beliee we have made the right choice for her now.

Good luck to all the people still going through the turmoil of making decisions.
christ

Post by christ »

Pemble wrote:I don't think the changes the new head is making will affect the results. As I understand it, the changes being made are for the better and the new Head is being viewed as very effective. Everyone I have spoken to (pupils and parents) have been very complimentary about him. I am looking forward to my daughter starting there in September.
I think the new head will be great, think he should be locked up for choosing the new badge though :D , I don't think the new one took to long to design.
christ

Post by christ »

Agree with above, my dd has been offered a place at Townley and the only downside is that new Logo :-(
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

christ wrote:Agree with above, my dd has been offered a place at Townley and the only downside is that new Logo :-(
Don't despair, the logo is changing back to the old colour, so any new uniforms will have a colourful badge. Current year 7's will be given a new badge to sew over the awful grey TG logo!
SqMandes

Post by SqMandes »

Sorry to hijack this thread. My DD has been offered Townley and we live in Blackheath. I know there is a bus route (89) but we did that route today and it's a reallly long journey. Are there any school bus routes or do we have to rely on public transport?
lefol

Post by lefol »

Hi

I don't know of any coach routes but someone may come along soon. She can take the 89 half way to welling and then pick up the 96, the best route may be to stick to the 89 but leave early 7.15am from blackheath before the traffic builds up round shooters hill .
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Your DD could catch the train to Barnehurst, then either walk the mile-and-a-bit or catch the 89, 229 or 602.
SqMandes

Post by SqMandes »

Thanks Muggle and lefol - is that a popular route for Townley?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now