Travel from Blackheath to Townley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Me2010

Travel from Blackheath to Townley

Post by Me2010 »

Hi, I am wondering what is the best way for my daughter to get to Townley from Blackheath - whether it is the 89 bus all the way or the train to Bexleyheath and then a bus and walk, all of which seem to take an age. Does anyone know if there is a minibus / coach or do people just generally car share?

Many thanks,
youngmum

Re: Travel from Blackheath to Townley

Post by youngmum »

Hi Me2010,

I dont have any experience or know anyway that does but just felt i could offer some practical advice.
if the 89 bus will take her all the way to Bexleyheath, it may be a better choice as even though it may be a long journey, am sure she will find other student joining along the way and at least its one journey apart from the walk from the broadway. There will be lots of girls walking to school from the broadway.
The train journey seems a bit more long winded, she has to get the train, then bus from the train station and then walk with her bag and school kits.
One straight journey seems better and dont forget most buses use the bus lanes in the morning so its faster than a normal bus journey.
Good luck
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

The 89 is a really good journey - only just over half an hour - i'd choose this and its the most straight forward :)
Me2010

Post by Me2010 »

Thanks. I've also found another route we might try. Lee train station to New Eltham and then a bus B15 or B13 (?) to very near the school.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

personally, as youngmum said, i would choose one journey over having to make a change along the way. Its easier for them especially in year 7. My dd2 has a 40 min bus journey to school followed by a ten min walk. Lots of girls do it so she has company and dosnt notice the time. Is the Lee train and then bus quicker? Half an hour on the bus(89)is really is no time at all compared to many secondary school kids journeys. See if you can find out whcih journey route other townley girls do :)
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Me2010 wrote:Thanks. I've also found another route we might try. Lee train station to New Eltham and then a bus B15 or B13 (?) to very near the school.
if you are thinking of her taking the train. she may as well get the train to Sidcup and get the 269 which stops right in front of Townley and thats the bus most if not all the kids from Sidcup take. My dd will be taking the 269 from Sidcup if she goes to Townley and so will a lot of other girls I know.

My niece mentioned the headmaster and some teachers help them to cross the road and get on and off the 269 in the morning and evening.
Me2010

Post by Me2010 »

Aaah. Fantastic. Thank you very much. That sounds like a good route. I think we'll do a couple of practices and hopefully off she'll go!
Me2010

Post by Me2010 »

Well the waiting lists have certainly started to move. We are very lucky to have got Chis & Sid which was our first choice so easy journey from Lee train station to Sidcup. Thanks for your help though.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

I am really pleased for you. Good luck to your dd at Chis and Sid.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now