12 plus in bexley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rainbowmum

12 plus in bexley

Post by Rainbowmum »

Does anyone know what subjects are sat for bexley 12 plus exams and what practice papers to buy on this site for them?

Thanks

RainbowMum
Bomper

Re: 12 plus in bexley

Post by Bomper »

I was just going to post regarding the 12 plus, my daughter narrowly missed passing the 11 plus and has massively improved in her school work since then. I have been told she will be leaving yr 6 with level 5's in all subjects, so I am seriously thinking of putting her in for the 12 plus. Does anyone know how I go about this?
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

I suggest you call the council to find out.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I suggest you call the council to see what the latest instructions are.
Up until a couple of years ago the rule of thumb was that a child had to be working at all high level 5 at Easter in year 7. Now that's a bit of a joke considering that there are kids in year 6 who leave primary with those results having 'failed' the 11+!
Assuming your child is working at level 5, then your secondary school needs to support your application to sit the 12+ and produce a written report. That's the next strange bit of the process - which secondary school is going to support a bright child who wants to leave?
The child needs to register to sit the tests in maths and vr.
Now the best bit, when your child passes there are rarely any places!
Unless you live opposite the school gates and have siblings already in then you won't stand much of a chance.
Places do come up but you could be waiting a very long time, a year, even more, by which time the 12+ result will be invalid.
The only chance you do stand is to do exceptionally well, I'm talking about the equivalent of a top 180 score, and that way you can appeal that your child simply MUST attend a grammar.
Unless you can be confident of an extremely high score you might feel that you don't want to go through the process for no result.
lefol

Post by lefol »

In addition to the above, I hear they now test non verbal and verbal only and the child has to be a level 5 in maths and english and level 3 in a language by the end of year 7 or before you apply to take the test and the application must be supported by the secondary school
Bomper

Post by Bomper »

Thanks for your helpful replies. The whole process seems a bit pointless really doesn't it? To be honest, I wish Bexley would just scrap the 11+ and Grammar Schools all together.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Bomper, a few years ago I would have shouted you down for suggesting that.
But having lived in Bexley and put my two kids through this system, it's simply not fit for purpose, the grammar system rightly deserves criticism.
Before anyone moans, I have one child at grammar and one at a comp, both rightly placed imho, but I feel the council treats its parents like mushrooms!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now