Help! Don't know which school to choose

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nims1976

Re: HELP!! DONT KNOW WHICH SCHOOL TO CHOOSE

Post by nims1976 »

pheasantchick wrote:I don't know the schools but why don't you visit them all again to see what feels right for you.
i will be doing that tomorrow. will let you know how it went :)
youngmum

Re: Help! Don't know which school to choose

Post by youngmum »

Good luck as I have been in the same situation. Bromley High or Townley grammar.
we decided to go with Bromley high.
nims1976

Post by nims1976 »

youngmum wrote:Good luck as I have been in the same situation. Bromley High or Townley grammar.
we decided to go with Bromley high.

my ds was offered chis and sid too. it was easy to make the choice between chis and sid and blackheath high. i turned chis and sid down with not much thinking.
its sooo hard with these 2 schools.

you deffo made the right choice. beomley high and blackheath high are sisters. and so was chis and sid and townley.

hows is you ds getting on in bromley high?
Me2010

Post by Me2010 »

I had a friend, whose daughter is off to uni in Sept, but she was offered grammar schools and Dulwich schools but decided to stick with Blackheath High where the daughter had been since Reception. She absolutely thrived and as her mum said was a big fish in a small pond which gave her loads of confidence and the opportunity to do things like netball which she probably wouldn't have had a look in at some of the other schools.
nims1976

Post by nims1976 »

Me2010 wrote:I had a friend, whose daughter is off to uni in Sept, but she was offered grammar schools and Dulwich schools but decided to stick with Blackheath High where the daughter had been since Reception. She absolutely thrived and as her mum said was a big fish in a small pond which gave her loads of confidence and the opportunity to do things like netball which she probably wouldn't have had a look in at some of the other schools.

oh wow! thats nice to hear. most have been telling me how well my daughter will do in the GS. what sort of GCSE results did she get? and what subject did she choose to do at uni?
youngmum

Post by youngmum »

nims1976 wrote: its sooo hard with these 2 schools.

you deffo made the right choice. beomley high and blackheath high are sisters. and so was chis and sid and townley.

She is starting Bromley high in Sept and we are looking forward to it.
Lots of people told me how good Townley is as well and how thier results compare to Bromley but for me school is not just about academics, its the overall experience that matters to us. She did not get a scholarship so I will have to keep working very hard for God knows how many more years.
If i were in your shoes and got 100% scholarship I will definitely go for Blackheath High.
Me2010

Post by Me2010 »

The daughter is actually off to medical school in September. Doesn't get better than that does it.
nims1976

Post by nims1976 »

youngmum wrote:
nims1976 wrote: its sooo hard with these 2 schools.

She is starting Bromley high in Sept and we are looking forward to it.
Lots of people told me how good Townley is as well and how thier results compare to Bromley but for me school is not just about academics, its the overall experience that matters to us. She did not get a scholarship so I will have to keep working very hard for God knows how many more years.
If i were in your shoes and got 100% scholarship I will definitely go for Blackheath High.
i have made my mind up. i will be sending her to blackheath high. i am sorry to hear that you will have to work to pay for your daughters education. to be honest my self and her dad were saying if she does not get a scholarship we will pay for the school. we were just so lucky. i wish you and your daughter best of luck. many thanks for helping me to make my mind up. god bless your family
nims1976

Post by nims1976 »

Me2010 wrote:The daughter is actually off to medical school in September. Doesn't get better than that does it.
this is exactly what i wanted to hear. my daughter wants to get into oxbridge to study medicine. if your friends daughter can do it then so can my daughter. thank you so much for letting me know. this has given me hope. i was worried that if i dint send her to newstead wood then she may not be able to achieve so high. wishing you the best ***
wishful

Re: Newstead Woods 2010 exams

Post by wishful »

Nims1976, I have just read your dilemma. I have been told from a very close source that any pressure at Newstead does not come from the school but from some of the parents; it's the girls with the very pushy parents who have problems there. I think most schools manipulate league tables. My dd did not reach the cut off mark by a few points but NW was way down our list anyway. TBH looking back I don't know why we put dd in for the test, but dd wanted to at the time.

I agree with the others on here, from what you have said, your gut feeling is coming across as Blackheath High, and the journey sounds better too. I think if a child wants to do well, and it sounds like your dd is very focused, she will do well wherever she goes.