Help! Don't know which school to choose

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: Help! Don't know which school to choose

Post by hermanmunster »

nims - not sure if your daughter really wants to go to oxbridge to study medicine at hear young age, you may wish itl, but honestly she won't understand yet.
You will be doing her a favour if you forget this until she is at least in the sixth form - being reminded makes it difficult for kids to change their minds.
I have 2 kids with 2 medical parents - they have been given total free reign despite saying at 11 that they wanted to be doctors (both of them) - eldest is now going to do humanties but has still not written off doing medicine at some time in the future. I am incredibly proud of whatever they do and support the decisions.

As for private schools and oxbridge - doesn't really help at the mo - rumblings on the street indicate that it is getting more difficult to get in - who knows how that will pan out.

You really have to go for the school you like - not the one that will provide something your daughter may not want in the future.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Herman, what you say makes absolute sense, as always!!!
Billie

Post by Billie »

So pleased you've been able to come to a decision. On the basis of what you've said before I think BH was the right choice. You know your dd will be happy there.
As others have said, with her focus and determination, your dd will do well at any school. I'm sure whatever path she eventually pursues she will flourish at BH and will be a credit to you.
Me2010

Post by Me2010 »

nims1976 I've tried to PM you but it seems to be sitting in my outbox so not sure if you got it or not..........
dani*

Post by dani* »

Billie wrote: You know your dd will be happy there.
How can one know if their child will be happy at a school before they have even started. Also I see no reason why a child who is bright and wants to do well would do better at BH than at Townley.
youngmum

Post by youngmum »

dani* wrote: How can one know if their child will be happy at a school before they have even started. Also I see no reason why a child who is bright and wants to do well would do better at BH than at Townley.
For us Dani, its not just about the academic achievement. A clever child will do well with supportive parents in a lot of schools. We want a school where she will have more opportunity to participate in extra curricular activities, a place where she will get more attention (relating to class sizes), a place where we can forge a strong parent and school relationship (like we currently do at her prep school) a place where its easy for us to walk in and speak to the head of the school and a place that has lots of facilities which reduces the amount of out of school activities she will be doing (she currently does public speaking and takes exams for that, she is very good at swimming and currently represents her prep school in swimming galas).
dani*

Post by dani* »

In terms of facilities personally I don't think BH is that great compared to some other Indies and a lot of local GS have excellent facilities and extra curricular facilities on offer as well. Also I think it is good to belong to clubs outside school, it gives them a wider social network and a change of scene.

I appreciate that BH has a pool, but how often are students actually able to use it during the school day. After school Indies often hire out Pools etc...to supplement their income. If your DD enjoys taking part in Gala's and open meets will she have enough pool time to train and opportunities to compete, perhaps a competitive swimming club would be a good alternative?

I'm sure it will probably be easier to walk in and speak to the head, after all she is running a business. Depending on the child's needs it may be necessary or a good thing to do this, for us, it is not something we are looking for. Our DD would be horrified if we were to do so.

For us too school is more than academic achievement. I is about growing up in to well rounded individuals who take responsibility for their own actions. I'm not convinced that at secondary level small class sizes are necessary. I believe that at age 11 they should be able to seek support when they feel they need it and otherwise get on with the work, like they will need to do when they go on to further education. Perhaps we feel this way because this is what suits our DD.

I agree with your point that most children could do well at any school, I was merely comparing BH and GS. Anyway, we all do what we think is best for our children and I'm sure that most will agree that the process is sort of over for now.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now