How's everyone doing-not long to go... 3 weeks and counting!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
starmum2000

How's everyone doing-not long to go... 3 weeks and counting!

Post by starmum2000 »

We've had a quiet couple of weeks due to a weeks holiday, then a 'gentle' post-holiday week, and are now doing a final push. I think he is getting back in the right frame of mind now, and doing Ok.
I was thinking of leaving it entirely for the last two weeks as I'd read others on here saying they did that & don't want to overload or cause melt-down - what are others doing??
We will have the Kent test two weekends in a row before the Bexley test, I think that will be enough?
I've actually been reading through last years results posts on here & the Kent thread & actually had butterflies from just that!!
Starmum x
countingtoten

Re: How's everyone doing-not long to go... 3 weeks and count

Post by countingtoten »

Hi Starmum - so glad to find someone in the same boat. It seems so close now doesn't it? I'm finding it a challenge to keep DS motivated without putting on the pressure - not sure I'm succeeding. Any tips welcome. DS has been practising throughout the holidays with a couple of weeks break when he was at soccer camp and away with his Dad. Will continue to practice up until the Kent test. I will be so pleased when it's all over - looking forward to him just being able to chill and to not having a knot in my stomach. Good Luck to your DS.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Hi all, it's lovely to hear from others in the final run up to the Big Tests!

We had a 2 week holiday and then two 1 week holidays this summer, so DD had plenty of relaxation time (the whole family banned me from taking any 11+ work for DD to do.) I think the break did her good, as she recently sat a mock exam at a test centre and scored in the high 90%'s for both tests. This was a massive confidence boost for her and she is feeling very positive, so my main aim is to maintain her confidence up the Test Days. I think we will do 2 more full tests before returning to school next week (1 Maths & 1 VR), then just tick over with the occasional 10 min test.

I'm really worried about the long Kent Test on the 17th, she will be exhausted by the end of the day and I hope she will recover in time for the Bexley Tests. I also worry about nerves affecting her on the day, but I suppose it's the role of Mums' to worry!

Overall, we are feeling positive, I'm feeling very nervous but hiding it from DD. We are both looking forward to it being over and done with. Roll on the evening of 21st Sept!
Last edited by Muggle on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
countingtoten

Post by countingtoten »

Hi Muggle - well done to your DD on her mock results. DS has been doing pretty well on his practice papers but like you I'm just worried about 'the bad day'. Have given DS a bit of a break as we could see he was getting fed up and a bit nervous. I imagine that at this late stage being rested and feeling positive are more important than anything (probably applies to the parents as well as the children). :D - as you say - roll on the evening of 21st ...
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

I agree Muggle about the long morning of the 17th then followed by the Bexley Test, its a really long day :-(
At least the Bexley ones will be shorter & over 2 days, so I think DS will cope with those as a normal part of his day.
I'm slightly panicking about whether to keep doing timed tests or concentrate on practising, & DS is starting to get stressed if he can't cope with a question (which isn't often, but then completely stresses him!) so I'm thinking along the same lines as you guys now, rest, positive thinking & confidence for the final couple of weeks.
greenwichmum

Post by greenwichmum »

Hi, just wishing youlluck we were in the same poistion two years ago, my daughter has just completed her first year at Townley.

You have to go with your child and how they feel at this point. DD had been quite stressed and by this stage she said she was confident and did not want to do any more practice it was really hard but I decided to go with what she wanted and it all worked out in the end. Best of luck.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Thanks Greenwich Mum,

Did your DD enjoy her first year at Townley? It's our nearest grammar, so if DD is fortunate enough to pass, I will be interested to find out all about it.
drejodel

Post by drejodel »

The time is drawing near! My daughter has spent the holidays preparing so I have given her two days off. We are off for the weekend to hampshire for couple of days. I think the break would do us all some good but I might just take a paper or two (maths and NVR) just in case the panick kicks in.

Wishing you all the best of luck! well deserved!!
greenwichmum

Post by greenwichmum »

Did your DD enjoy her first year at Townley? It's our nearest grammar, so if DD is fortunate enough to pass, I will be interested to find out all about it.[/quote]

Hi Muggle,

She is enjoying it very much, she found the transition fairly easy, loves being in an all girls (we were not so sure beofre!) school and on the whole it couldn't have worked out better for us. If you have any specific questions about Townley I am happy to answer them.
countingtoten

Post by countingtoten »

Hi - how did the practice tests go for your DC? DS had his today in Dartford. Shock to the system getting there for 8.30. On emerging from exam hall DS described it as 'scary' but on subsequent questioning it seems to have gone ok. He told me that he had started to feel panicky but had managed to 'press [his] restart button' lol - was pleased to hear that. Feels like a relief to get the tests underway finally. Good luck to all our DC for the real thing next week and for the Bexley Tests.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now