is true 91 % bexley residents children did not pass

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bondgirl

Re: is true 91 % bexley residents children did not pass

Post by bondgirl »

shahinoor wrote:I read somewhere that 91 % of bexley kids did not pass the exam ...is that true?
No, it's not. Of the Bexley kids who took the test, 82% did not pass (18% did pass).
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Further research finds the following information in the Bexley admissions forum.
SECONDARY ADMISSIONS 2010 – Update
(Agenda item 8 )
Mrs Watson informed the Forum that all Bexley pupils deemed to be selected had
been offered one of their selective preferences
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

Thanks for that digging Mitasol, thats very reassuring for us 'poor relations' who live in the north of the borough :wink: !
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

From the Bexley website:

'In total, 4862 children sat the tests, and 1394 have been deemed selective. 2454 of these children attend primary schools in Bexley, and 438 have been deemed selective'.

Total entrants 1394/4862=28.6%
Bexley primaries 438/2454=17.8%
Other 956/2408=50.4%

Bexley primaries out of total 438/4862=9%
Other out of total 956/4862=19.6%

Doesn't matter which way you look at it if your child goes to a state primary. :(
Just wish this information was made available to parents as children go into KS2 so they know what to expect.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Tracy - this always tends to happen if people take the exam from out out of catchment, parents don't tend to put kids in for exam unless they have a decent chance.

Happens in Skipton too - pass rate for OOC is higher as all the local kids do the exam but only a selected bunch do the exam if they live OOC. Same exam after all.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Tracy wrote:From the Bexley website:

'In total, 4862 children sat the tests, and 1394 have been deemed selective. 2454 of these children attend primary schools in Bexley, and 438 have been deemed selective'.

Total entrants 1394/4862=28.6%
Bexley primaries 438/2454=17.8%
Other 956/2408=50.4%

Bexley primaries out of total 438/4862=9%
Other out of total 956/4862=19.6%

Doesn't matter which way you look at it if your child goes to a state primary. :(
Just wish this information was made available to parents as children go into KS2 so they know what to expect.
Just wanted to add my :( :( :(
dani*

Post by dani* »

Hermanmunster,

Not sure if what you are saying is valid in this neck of the woods. I know of a lot of parents who entered their kids in the Kent test, not because they thought they had a reasonable chance of passing but pure desperation because they did not like the alternatives available to them. I think whether to enter a child in an OOB 11+ has a lot to do with what is available to them locally.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

dani* wrote:Hermanmunster,

Not sure if what you are saying is valid in this neck of the woods. I know of a lot of parents who entered their kids in the Kent test, not because they thought they had a reasonable chance of passing but pure desperation because they did not like the alternatives available to them. I think whether to enter a child in an OOB 11+ has a lot to do with what is available to them locally.
dani* I am sure it is the same in many parts of the country where the options are not great, however GSs take between 10 and 30% of the kids (depending on which area it is). In catchment I would thought that 90% + take the test (some parents decline). However I don't think many parents OOC with a child persistently in the bottom - say - 25% of the school is likely to put the child through the test. Hence the higher pass rate in the OOC children who do take it.
dani*

Post by dani* »

In our primary last year there were 12 children from the bottom maths set who took the Kent test. Perhaps this is exeptional, I don't know.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Dani* - sounds like it reflects different areas - not many schools around here big enough to have a maths set with as many as 12 in it...!!

Just going on what I hear from people opting not to take test from OOC as they feel they would not pass .. tends to show up in the figures here with OOC being preselected by parents and more likely to pass:

Percentage is of those children in or out of area passing, denominator being the in or out of area population

School In Out

SGHS 27% 49%
EGS 31% 43%
RGS 29% 42%
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now