harris academy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
buddy24

harris academy

Post by buddy24 »

i am considering putting harris academy as first choice. can anyone give me their views - good and bad - of the school . the results seem outstanding, but i do not know much else about the school. thanks
Alessandra24

Re: harris academy

Post by Alessandra24 »

I don't know much about Harris academy and I missed their open days. However, just as you already know, their academic performance isn't bad at all. I was considering it because of the academic achievement and its a sports and enterprise school. My DS love playing football. Although, I did look at past comments and threads on this forum from around 2007 or so. I found out that parents' comments about the school were not positive. Things like empty classes on open days were mentioned and the school was made up of two other schools merged together. I suggest you read those past posts and see for yourself.

All the best.

Have you considered Haberdasher and Trinity School?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Harris took over Westwood several years ago and since then there has been a remarkable improvement in results and behaviour. This September saw the school move into the new building. Harris has come a long way.

But look closer at the exams stats, look at the 5 gcse a*- c figures with English and Maths. Look at the % getting higher grades. I think there's still a long way to go. Harris is getting there and by the time any 11 year old sits their gcses things would have changed again.

You need to consider if you come within that inner band, 1.75 miles?, and stand a better chance in the lottery system. There's only a total of 180 places yet 1000+ applications are expected as people will be sold on the new building.

If you like Harris, put it on your caf. Statistically you will proababy be unlucky but 180 applicants will be successful!
mystery

Post by mystery »

What are the top end results like? Can you do as well as at grammar at a Harris Academy (he certainly says you can) and have wider opportunities? Do any people choose it over a Bexley grammar when grammar is a strong possibility?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

At the moment the top end results are not as good as grammar.
Just had a look at the 6th form and it really isn't academic enough for the brightest students, way too many Btecs.
Would consider 6th form in the future for a less academic student.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now