Bromley High School for Girls V Townley Grammar for girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
youngmum

Bromley High School for Girls V Townley Grammar for girls

Post by youngmum »

Got an offer from Bromley high school for girls and Townley Grammar for girls.
dh and i have gone over it again and again and we cant seem to decide.
We need to make a decision by Wednesday.
Dont know what to do. I worry about the larger classes at the grammar school. Dd is not top of her class and may still need support from time to time. Finances mean it will be a strain to pay fees and then pay for support on top of it, but BHSG has more to offer in terms of facilities. academic result is about the same in both places.
Any information of either of these schools will be appreciated
blessedmum

Re: Bromley High School for Girls V Townley Grammar for girl

Post by blessedmum »

Sorry cant really help. Gone through the same dilemma. I suggest visiting both schools again and getting a feel for where you see your dd.
lefol

Post by lefol »

Townley is a good school and has good results when looking at the league tables for EB and the number of students with 5 A-C GCSEs. Your ds must have done well to get into both schools, in fact extremely well. The only difference apart from the fees is that Townley will take 210 girls this year and Bromley High will take less than half that number, which means they will have less students and more individual attention. Do post this header Townley v Bromley High in the indie section also to generate more interest and feedback.
Me2010

Post by Me2010 »

We were offered a very good scholarship to a local indie and also Townley. After much soul searching we have gone for Townley. I have spoken to lots of people I know with girls there and they all seem to be very happy. Results are excellent and there appears to be plenty of pastoral care. Our view in the end was that it would be easier to move to the private sector if for any reason it didnt work out at Townley than the other way around if we ran out of money.

good luck with your decision.
youngmum

Post by youngmum »

We have been thinking along those lines that we should go for Townley as it will be heart breaking to have to take her out of Bromley high if we get stuck.
We are thinking of sticking to Townley, save, see how things go and maybe move her to Bromley High in year 9 if she's not happy at Townley, however I can help bu think the smaller classes will be good for her.
Really tough one.

Thanks for your response all. will keep you posted
calmdown

Post by calmdown »

Take Townley - save your money for a tutor for the subjects she finds difficult when she gets to GCSE, and for paying student fees when she gets into uni!
ch1ll1man

Post by ch1ll1man »

Are they smaller classes or less classes?

We've gone for Townley, actually our dd chose Townley as we would have preferred Bexley seeing as we are 5 mins away. I'm treating the past results with a little caution as Townley has a new head who is making many changes - lets hope they don't affect future results!
Pemble

Post by Pemble »

I don't think the changes the new head is making will affect the results. As I understand it, the changes being made are for the better and the new Head is being viewed as very effective. Everyone I have spoken to (pupils and parents) have been very complimentary about him. I am looking forward to my daughter starting there in September.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Is there any negotiation on fees at BHS?
If you don't ask, you won't get... :wink:
youngmum

Post by youngmum »

Tracy wrote:Is there any negotiation on fees at BHS?
If you don't ask, you won't get... :wink:
Thanks Tracy. Someone mentioned that to me as well to speak to the school. I did not think it was possible but will do that now.
I just do not think my dd will thrive at Townley but who knows