Sept 2012 Bexley/Bromley/Kent takers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kingsgen

Re: Sept 2012 Bexley/Bromley/Kent takers

Post by kingsgen »

bondgirl wrote:
kingsgen wrote:Bondgirl those scores are good at the moment if he can score such marks in the test papers of different authors before real the test, you are guaranteed a place. Do not do bond papers only try some other authors especially on VR.
Thanks for the feedback kingsgen. He has done some AFN papers and questions set by his tutor. I think now we have to build on his vocabulary as he is ok with the various question types. If I remember rightly, your DC was a top 180 scorer and your pupils aswell? Any further tips between now and the tests would be gratefully accepted :D
You are right my son and some of my pupils scored standardised score of 280 Bex, 420 kent and st olave. I have pm you. 8)
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Thanks kingsgen - much appreciated :D
Fingerscrossedmum

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

Oh Kingsgen, my DS1 is taking the exams in september as well so any tips would also be very, very much appreciated please. :)
wellingmum

Post by wellingmum »

Hi, Good to see this post. I have been silent reader so far, but now I feel its time for me to get onboard with you all :) Thankyou for all your valuable suggestions and tips. They are very helpful. My DS will be sitting both bexley/Kent exam. Although he is keen to write Bromley for St. Olave's I am not stressing out too much on that.

At the moment I am home tutoring with Bond 10-11 Maths/VR and NVR test papers. We finshed pack1. He seems to be good at maths with above 90% in maths, but still have to work on VR and NVR. I am giving him weekly once English topic writing for his kent exam.

My plan is to take him through all the practice papers in pack1/pack2 from Bond 10-11. After every test, I sit with him to explain where he went wrong and make sure he wont repeat it again. As we are almost end of pack1 (4 tests) My plan is to move him onto pack 2 next month (Goal is to get scores increasing) and once he finishes pack2, restart him again on pack1, this time only to achieve more.

As I am doing this for the first time, Can someone provide me with feedback if my above plan is right? Is there anything else that I have to do? Many thanks in advance. :)
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Hi wellingmum and welcome to our 2012 club :)

It sounds like your DS is doing well in maths. If he's not doing St Olave's, your time may be better spent on VR and NVR rather than written compositions. In the Kent test, it is only used in the event of an appeal. The only other comment I would make would be to use other materials such as GL assessment who set the Bexley and Kent tests and to look at building his vocabulary.

The tests are now fast approaching - as we are nearly in May, they are just over 4 months away :shock:

How is everyone is else getting on?
malibu

Post by malibu »

wellingmum wrote: My plan is to take him through all the practice papers in pack1/pack2 from Bond 10-11. After every test, I sit with him to explain where he went wrong and make sure he wont repeat it again. As we are almost end of pack1 (4 tests) My plan is to move him onto pack 2 next month (Goal is to get scores increasing) and once he finishes pack2, restart him again on pack1, this time only to achieve more.

As I am doing this for the first time, Can someone provide me with feedback if my above plan is right? Is there anything else that I have to do? Many thanks in advance. :)
My DS took the test last year, and I wished we took the same approach!
I feel we left the practice papers to too late - although he did pass :D
My only comment would be to take this approach to all subjects - VR, NVR and Maths.
wellingmum

Post by wellingmum »

Thanks Bondgirl and malibu for your input. I will look into GL papers too.

Wishing all the best for preparation. 4 months to go!
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Hi

Just wondered how everyone was getting on with just half a term and the summer holidays to go :shock:

DS has occasional tutoring (unfortunately his tutor isn't in good health at the moment so we get a lesson once every 2-3 weeks on average) so the situation isn't ideal. The focus has been on maths and english for the St Olave's test for past few weeks and VR and NVR is very much on the back burner.

DS was ill for 10 days with a flu type bug which also put paid to any 11+ prep.

Am I the only one feeling time is running out and there seems to be so much still to cover?
penguin

Post by penguin »

Am I the only one feeling time is running out and there seems to be so much still to cover?

No you are not.

and other half will insist on going away for a break during the time I'd scheduled for intense study during half term :evil:
penguin

Post by penguin »

back now - earlier than expected

yayyy!!! more study time

Other half (DH) back at work - no distractions now