Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:35 am 

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this....I am preparing my daughter for sept 2013.

I have a couple of questions

1) Should I go for a tutor or home teach?
2) Should I go one to one tution or tutorial groups?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:10 am 

Down to personal opinion.

I believe lots of dc's have tutors, but have then I've heard those dc's say that nothing they learned at tutoring came up in the exam. So was the tutoring a waste of time and money? So I don't know if you are more likely to pass if you have a tutor .... or not. Some advertise "high success rate".

I would hate my dc to have tutoring and pass and then struggle at a gs.

I helped (I'm just a parent) and had to learn with my dd. Doubt she's passed but it was good for us both to go through it together. She wouldn't have enjoyed tutoring.

I feel if your dc is likely to pass, they shouldn't need tutoring. As I said, down to personal opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:37 pm 

Hi Rosehulk

I think there are pros and cons to each and you need to think about how these apply to you and your daughter.

I was a first timer this year and I've tutored my daughter myself. I am a maths teacher (which doesn't make too much difference in itself at all)

I could plan her study timetable myself and use time to reinforce and practice topics etc. that needed going over
    I could push her more than maybe a tutor would because I know her capability better
    more control over and knowledge about what and how much she's learning
    my daughter didn't feel nervous/feel the need to impress me when studying with me as she might with a stranger.

she knows me better and how to push my buttons - it's difficult to not show the same amount of exasperation with DCs as you might in every day situations - very counterproductive when studying
    personality clashes when workload increased- she's a bit of a delicate flower and I'm not
    can be hard to study with younger siblings around

I enrolled my daugter on an intensive 3 morning summer 11+ course which she attended witha friend from school. both girls really enjoyed it and I wanted to use that as an independent source of her ability and progress etc. but also because DH and family were scaremongering and expressed doubt when I said she was doing really well.
She also did some mock tests to practice in a real test environment.

In hindsight (and because I had no information previously) I think the course was at too easy a level for her by that time. the mocks were a very useful experience and gave us a snapshot of current achievement and good feedback.

My advice would be that if you have time - then tutor her yourself. You can post practically any question you can think of to the forum and it will be answered (if it hasn't already - do a search first)
If you go the tutor route then 1 to 1 has to be the way because even if it's two students ( I helped coach some of my daughter's friends at the same time) then one's attitude will rub off on the other - the tutor's attention by default will be divided - student might not feel comfortable raising issues in front of the group etc.

I'm sure someone else will come along and share their views - you must definitely do what feels right for you and your daughter

Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:50 pm 

Unless you have talent, passion and patience for teaching then I would do as most other parents do and get a professional tutor.

The way I see it is like DIY - some people are good at it and enjoys ...others like me don't have the time and get a professional builder (who has recommmedations) to do the job.

When you get a tutor ask for trial lesson first and if child clicks and you are happy with the professionalism then hire him/her.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:54 pm 

I agree with Lawrence - it's a bit like learning to drive I'd say. Pay a professional or pick up Mum/Dad's bad habits & have lots of family rows in the process. Assuming Mum/Dad actually know how to drive!