St Olaves result

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nike1

Re: St OLAVES RESULT

Post by nike1 »

Only wanted the ranking as he is a 'possible' and wanted an idea of his chances of getting in.
sunshine777

Post by sunshine777 »

BFal wrote:No, they won't, I called them yesterday. You'll have to wait till 1st of March, and then you can call for ranking if you wish to know.
Any idea of the rationale behind not disclosing the ranking now but only in March?
Surely disclosing the info now will not provide any unfair advantage.
BFal

Post by BFal »

Not sure to be honest. I presume they are not allowed to give the information out, as it may in effect, undermine the National Allocation day.
sunshine777

Post by sunshine777 »

BFal wrote:Not sure to be honest. I presume they are not allowed to give the information out, as it may in effect, undermine the National Allocation day.
Bexley do reveal the marks & also if one is a 'Top 180' candidate, and so effectively the 'guaranteed space' is known now rather than the National Allocation Day. Kent also reveal the marks in October rather than wait until March. Looks like there is a need for consistency across the board.

Surely atleast those on St Olave's 'Possible list' should be informed of the marks/waiting list number to help them assess the chances of getting in.
BFal

Post by BFal »

I see your point, but i don't think it makes any difference anyway, Putting St Olaves in CAF as the first choice despite being a possible, will not affect your chances on the 2nd , 3rd etc choice. The worse scenario is not offered on your first choice, your second choice will automatically be your 1st choice, hence the possible reason why they don't need to confirm ranks\position etc. The only guarantees are the top 180 in Bexley. So in effect, if my DS had been offered a possible, I'll still make St Olaves his 1st choice. I can understand we all want a guarantee that our children have been offered now, unfortunately, we'll have to wait till March :)
sunny24

Re: St Olaves result

Post by sunny24 »

Hello,

Any ideas about how many boys in total sat for the St. Olaves 11 plus exam?..

We received "likely to be offered" letter last Saturday but we live in a different county. Do we still have a chance at St. Olaves?

Any ideas pl.

Many Thanks
sunshine777

Post by sunshine777 »

sunny24 wrote:Hello,
Any ideas about how many boys in total sat for the St. Olaves 11 plus exam?..
We received "likely to be offered" letter last Saturday but we live in a different county. Do we still have a chance at St. Olaves?
Any ideas pl.
Many Thanks
Well done to your DS!

Don't know the exact number who sat for the test, but I didn't think you need to worry about this.

Per the admission policy
http://vle.saintolaves.net/file.php/327 ... 3-2014.pdf
distance/county/borough is not a factor - the score/rank is. (Newstead Woods has the 9 mile rule, St Olaves doesn't)

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 83#p332083
St O have used 3 wordings in the result letters: "Likely", "Possibly" & "Unlikely". As your DS has a "likely" letter I believe he is pretty much assured of a place.
sunny24

Post by sunny24 »

Many thanks Sunshine777. Your information clears all my doubts.
sunshine777

Post by sunshine777 »

sunny24 wrote:Many thanks Sunshine777. Your information clears all my doubts.
HTH sunny24.

St O is my DS's 'dream school' and we would be screaming with joy in your shoes!

I do believe the Likely/Possibily/Unlikely terminology can be confusing & there should be a bit more clarity & explanation provided by St O as to what they mean.

Sometimes the language of maths & numbers is more helpful.

If a bookmaker, I would be offering the following odds of the applicants getting a place

Likely Letter : 200:1 odds on favourite to get a place

Possibly Letter : 1:1 (Even) odds (& probably better) to get a place

Unlikely Letter: 1:20 odds to get a place (as it is possible that all 'possibly' are offered a place in the subsequent rounds and a few of the top rankers in the the 'unlikely' group are then offered one)

St O are understandably cautious and can't commit to hard numbers like bookmakers :)

Would welcome the opinion of other forum members on the above stated odds.
Athena

Post by Athena »

I think it would be impossible for them to rank the students and give firm guarantees without knowing how many of the students taking the test will be applying to the school. Even though Bexley top scores are guaranteed a place at a Bexley grammar school it does not specify which school and being that due to he number of places on offer in the 4 Bexley schools, they are able to offer that guarantee. With one school it is different, as there are only a limited number of spaces to start with so they cannot offer guarantees to the first 116 without knowing that the top 116 are putting St Olaves as their first choice in the application. Also as someone else pointed out it is unfair for one school to offer a guarantee of a place before National Offer Day in march when everyone else gets offered.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now