St Olaves Questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kingsgen

Re: St Olaves Questions

Post by kingsgen »

MaverickAuthor wrote:On the 09th of January 2013 Parent View had 202 responses for St. Olave's - I know because I printed it out.
The results were far less positive - 25% of children weren't happy at the school, 27% thought there was an issue with bullying, 31% thought the school was not well managed, 31% didn't think the school responded well to issues and 28% wouldn't recommend the school.
Over the weekend of the 12th / 13th Of January an additional 100+ responses were posted all positive from the looks of it- statistically this is highly unlikely particularly when the school has not asked for responses as it did in newsletter 61 (14th December 2012).
When a school has to go to these lengths (yes we think the results have been manipulated with and inflated) to improve its image then its a poor reflection on the education system.
Please do not destroy the image of the school. Some of us have children in other Grammar schools as well and we can tell you the difference. My son have had issue since he started, He was forced to react instead of responding, the form tutor spoke to me, later on the Head of Year, I explained whom my son is to both of them as there is "no smoke without fire" asked them to investigate the fire which caused the smoke. We spoke to our boy, our friend spoke to him as well, encouraging him to report things to the teachers instead of reacting when he is fed up with trouble makers in his form. Even during this period, my son never thought of missing school or getting late to school. He loves the school. We can manage these issues better. Parents should approach the governors, write the LEA, involve your counsellor, your MP or educational lawyers. Somebody should be able to help. Our children have a very long way to go, do not sow evil seed into their lives now. St O might not be the best school pastoral care wise but you can help your child to achieve good result and look for sixth form else where for him. St. O has over 30% from Ind yet some of the students are still kicking the toilet door and damage it, some are still stealing other students properties, but the bad ones are not as many as the good ones in the whole school. If they are helping and supporting our children to achieve good result and start good university, we should be grateful to God.

St O is asking everyone of us for money but the highest number of parents not responding are Yr 9,10, 11, 12 and 13. I do not think they have sent bailiff to anybody's house yet. The result was published.

Many schools are asking their students to leave as well when they fail their AS or do not well in GCSE. Grammar schools in Bexley are doing the same. This includes comp as well.
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/education/a ... el-results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthr ... ?t=2109097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In fact, there are some Grammar schools who normally closed their door to external students as their GCSE is good enough but if you are lucky enough not to make the right grades, they show you the door.

Parents whose children are not in St O should stop posting negatives comments about the school. Comment about your children's schools. I ve heard a lot about Newsteadwood from friends but I did not write anything negative about them. Not one or two parents have complained to me about Newstead even the students themselves but two of them are happy today in Medical schools. Please enough is enough, take the right step in addressing the issues. Anybody that hires should be able to fire.
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

Worriedmummy2 wrote:I've been reading with interest. When my son had an issue I tried to talk to the Head and he dismissed me like I was wasting his time. He had not followed the policy on punishments and didn't like the fact I brought that up one little bit. However, I can't see where else my son could go: he is an able student and this is our nearest selective school. I don't want to make it worse for him.
Did you speak to your son's form tutor?
If you are not satisfy, speak with the head of year,
If not, speak with head of KS3, or KS4 it depends on your son's year
If the head dismiss your concerns,
You can approach the governors.

You have to follow the chain of command. I have worked in secondary schools as a teacher, every school has procedures.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I know nothing about this school, but its results sound good. Pastoral care is so hard to judge, and people have such different expectations of what it is and what it can result in.

The thread is interesting because plenty of parents have paid £'000s per annum at top independents for the kind of head and education that is being described on here!

Parentview is a rubbish idea. It must have been devised by a complete idiot or someone that thinks parents are stupid. It could well be faked. It is a system which almost "asks" to be faked. You don't have to be a parent to complete it, and someone with multiple e-mail addresses could give multiple responses. There is no way the information from it could be used in any sensible way. It's just a sop to make it look as though OFSTED is interested in parent views.
lefol

Post by lefol »

The views about St Olaves have also been raised on other sites not just this one and therefore it is highly unlikley that a bunch of disgruntled parents are making this up. However, I do agree with the view that parents should complain to the school governors or ofsted if they feel the head does not listen to their views. I am sure you can contact the authorities anonymously as well if you have concerns regarding your son's education and you do not wish to be named. It must be difficult for a child and the parent, if they have worked so hard to get into this school , only to find the child is not happy. All schools have issues, but if they are not addressed, gather the information and evidence you have and send to the governors or ofsted or Bromley council.

Hope it gets sorted.
concernedmummy

Post by concernedmummy »

I too have been reading the comments on O’s with interest.

To those who don’t like reading negative comments – if you don’t like and find comments unpalatable then don’t read – forums like this seem to attract those who are positive or negative not middle ground and perhaps more importantly have an opinion – why have I joined – because I care!

Like many we sent our DS to O’s because of its reputation and image – an image that doesn’t match with reality.

Make an observation or even dare to complain and the stock response is everything is rosy in the garden. Follow the official channels and you get the run around. There are some very good even excellent teachers at O’s though substantially less than when DS joined. A head that thinks he’s untouchable and acts accordingly, it’s probably no coincidence that less money is collected from years 9 and above, i.e. those parents whose DS’s have been at the school the longest.

Parents who think by complaining to the head, board of governors or elsewhere makes a difference just try it and see how easy it is – the head routinely ignores the governors – you get the impression he revels in his power. Most parents don’t want a war of attrition and will give up – we certainly have. We put up and shut up – this will probably be my only ever post on this site, whether people like what they read or not. That’s why I think people complain – they follow the prescribed route and end up disappointed or worse – at least sites like this get real views out in the open and not just those that the school would like you to see.

As someone else has said, if your main interest is exam results of A’s/A*s then this school delivers – it all depends on what you think is most important for your DS’s future. Just don’t expect much support if DS has issues – pastoral care at O’s is now very weak. There are other options available – though less if you can’t afford independent which most can’t. No matter how many negative comments are posted on this or other sites O’s will always be heavily oversubscribed, whether it has a Voldermont or Dumbledore running it, just don’t expect to have a choice which one it is.
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

lefol wrote:The views about St Olaves have also been raised on other sites not just this one and therefore it is highly unlikley that a bunch of disgruntled parents are making this up. However, I do agree with the view that parents should complain to the school governors or ofsted if they feel the head does not listen to their views. I am sure you can contact the authorities anonymously as well if you have concerns regarding your son's education and you do not wish to be named. It must be difficult for a child and the parent, if they have worked so hard to get into this school , only to find the child is not happy. All schools have issues, but if they are not addressed, gather the information and evidence you have and send to the governors or ofsted or Bromley council.

Hope it gets sorted.
I do agree with your comment but these issues were been raised by the same parents on other websites as well. It is better parents come together and approach the govs or Ofsted with their concerns instead of destroying the image of the whole school. There was a time racial and bullying issues were paramount in Newsteadwood according to parents who have their children there but they did not destroy the image of the school but use every available means to address the issues. Our children are involving in Sport, Music and other extra curriculum activities so the school is not examination factory but they are trying their best
None of these St O parents have told this forum what the problems were. Even when our children are causing problems to the other students, they are still angels to us. We can help our children to be happy and achieve their purpose in lives. Parents should not build hatred in these children lives. Most of St. O parents based their decisions on the academic performance of the school not pastoral care. If the school is great with pastoral care and weak in academic, none of us would have sent our children there. We have many parents and their children that are happy with St. O
Parents flood ofsted and the govs with your complaints, they will definitely look into it.
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

concernedmummy wrote:I too have been reading the comments on O’s with interest.

To those who don’t like reading negative comments – if you don’t like and find comments unpalatable then don’t read – forums like this seem to attract those who are positive or negative not middle ground and perhaps more importantly have an opinion – why have I joined – because I care!

Like many we sent our DS to O’s because of its reputation and image – an image that doesn’t match with reality.

Make an observation or even dare to complain and the stock response is everything is rosy in the garden. Follow the official channels and you get the run around. There are some very good even excellent teachers at O’s though substantially less than when DS joined. A head that thinks he’s untouchable and acts accordingly, it’s probably no coincidence that less money is collected from years 9 and above, i.e. those parents whose DS’s have been at the school the longest.

Parents who think by complaining to the head, board of governors or elsewhere makes a difference just try it and see how easy it is – the head routinely ignores the governors – you get the impression he revels in his power. Most parents don’t want a war of attrition and will give up – we certainly have. We put up and shut up – this will probably be my only ever post on this site, whether people like what they read or not. That’s why I think people complain – they follow the prescribed route and end up disappointed or worse – at least sites like this get real views out in the open and not just those that the school would like you to see.

As someone else has said, if your main interest is exam results of A’s/A*s then this school delivers – it all depends on what you think is most important for your DS’s future. Just don’t expect much support if DS has issues – pastoral care at O’s is now very weak. There are other options available – though less if you can’t afford independent which most can’t. No matter how many negative comments are posted on this or other sites O’s will always be heavily oversubscribed, whether it has a Voldermont or Dumbledore running it, just don’t expect to have a choice which one it is.
We like reading negative comments but do not destroy St. O images because you are not happy or your child is not happy with the school. LEA and Ofsted will help you and other few parents.
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

kingsgen, I have sent you a pm.
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

Thanks Jiff. I have checked it. thank you for your encouraging word.
Mungo

Post by Mungo »

I appreciate what kingen is saying, however, I also agree that this forum is a place to be able to air our anxieties, fears, hopes and expectations. I haven't been on any other forums. I don't think anyone of us as parents would encourage our DD or DS to hate their school. Afterall our DDs and DSs mean the world to us and we want them to be happy at school and build a good future based on this.
Last edited by Mungo on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now