Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:49 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:31 am
Posts: 129
Hi,

Would be grateful for any advice re DS's situation.

We have been offered Beths (2nd choice) and have put son's name on the waiting list for C&S. Dilemma, we put Beths down, not thinking that we had any chance of it being offered. We live in Bromley and most children where we live tend to go to C&S, being the closest gs. Should we stick with Beths or go for C&S, which I think we stand a good chance of getting off the waiting list.

DS and I went to visit Beths, which we really liked. Being quite some distance from Beths (and not 180) we did not expect it to be offered. I thought we would be offered our local comp. (3rd choice) and hope to get place for C&S off the waiting list. This dilemma was not supposed to happen. We put Beths down 2nd, because we could put 6 schools down and we thought why not put down another gs.

DS seems to really like the idea of Beths, and whilst it looks like a really good school, C&S is a more practical option . We live nearer to it, my dad lives 1 mile from the school and he will know others going from his school. The journey to Beths is on the same bus route, but he would stay on it for about 10-12 minutes longer.

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received. I know that at the moment, we do not actually have a decision to make, but I feel it would be good to be prepared. I don't know how long you get to make your decision, if offered another school, but feel it quite likely that a waiting list place will come our way, as other children from our primary school have already been offered places.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:36 pm
Posts: 107
Hi

We are in a similar situation. We were offered our second choice school, it is a very good school but it doesn't quite tick all the right boxes for us.

We have accepted the school, but requested to go on the waiting list for our first choice school. As you said, offers are being made all the time as other children turn down their school in preference for higher ones on their list.

I guess all you can do is accept the offer you've been given, and sit tight and wait and see if a place at C&S comes up, you can then make a decision whether or not you want to accept it. I guess when you have both offers in front of you, you can try out work out the pros and cons of each. Perhaps you could arrange for another visit to both schools to
compare? Once you have both offers, one just might jump put a little more.

Do you know where you are on the waitlist at C&S?

Why can't they go back to being babies, it was all so much easier!

I've just heard that song by Abba, "Slipping through my fingers", had me blubbing"

What will I be like in September? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:39 am
Posts: 78
As you know Bromleymum, my DS is going to Beths - he did the 11+ with C&S in mind but then as he was top 180 we went to look at Beths, loved it and so put it first.

Our only concern was the distance (we are also in Bromley) but as he would get the same bus for either (Beths is further but C&S starts 30 mins earlier) we went with the school we (and he) felt 'matched' him best if you see what I mean.

At the moment, we dont know anyone else going but I am reassured that Bromley boys have been offered places so there will be others coming from this way.

I hope this helps.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:31 am
Posts: 129
Many thanks for your replies pixiedust101 and Fingerscrossedmum,

I have spoken to Bexley Admissions and found out that offers were made to 5.5 miles. We are 5.69 miles away, meaning there's a reasonable chance that we will be offered 1st choice school. I like your thought pixiedust about one may jump out once possible decision becomes a reality. Certainly at the moment, I have no clear winner in mind. We like them both.

Beths is further, by about 2 miles or so, but is on same bus route as C&S, so his journey would be 10 or 12 minutes longer each way - C&S approx. 26 minutes/Beths approx. 38 minutes away. Beths starts later, but this means he would be getting home later.

There are lots of minor pluses for C&S, apart from distance. He will know 2 other children (at Beths - none), my dad lives just over 1 mile away from C&S, great for any emergencies, he could just make his way to Grandad's.

I think I'm finding this difficult because when we went to visit Beths it was just DS and me, DH wasn't able to get there, so I feel decision is more on my shoulders. My husband thinks we should let DS decide if and when offer is made. Not sure if I feel as confident about this idea.

Fingerscrossedmum, I'd be interested to hear if any other Bromley boys have been offered Beths. I spoke to HT and he cannot remember in his five years, another boy being offered Beths from our school. I can only assume that the extra places and possibly their change in measuring proximity this year has caused this. I wonder if many Bromley parents would have even considered Beths as a possibility.

All I can do now is wait.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:31 am
Posts: 129
Pixidust101

Sorry, I meant to say good luck to you and your DD. I hope that all goes well for you and that your 1st choice comes through.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016