Other good schools apart from Newstead Woods ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum38

Other good schools apart from Newstead Woods ?

Post by mum38 »

Hello all,

I’m looking into possible senior schools for my daughter, we will be applying to Newstead Woods although the feedback on forums is really 50/50 with some think it's fantastic and many who agree there is a lack of discipline & pastoral care, which worries me greatly!

What other schools (if I may ask) are good (or better) in the Bromley area (or beyond) as a back up? Thank you :)
greenwichmum

Re: Other good schools apart from Newstead Woods ?

Post by greenwichmum »

My daughter is at Townley Grammar lots of girls from the bromley area go there.
She is in year ten and we are very happy with the school.
Bromleymum1

Post by Bromleymum1 »

Hi

My daughter goes to Bullers Wood (going into Year 9). We have been very happy with the school and she is doing really well.

Make sure you go to some Open Days/Evenings this year, even if your daughter is in Year 5, going more than once gives you more opportunities to look around and ask questions.
Hopeful2002

Post by Hopeful2002 »

My daughter has just started at Bexley Grammar and loves it. It is mixed, though, so depends if you think mixed or single sex would be best for your DD. But I’ve been so pleased with the fact that she’s come home from school every day saying she loves the lessons she’s had, whether that be Latin or geography, because she loves the teachers (and teaching methods, I suppose, although she wouldn’t say that!).

I went to Newstead and had a great time. The school really teaches the girls that they can be whatever they want to be. However, the downsides for me were that the pastoral care wasn’t great (there were open cases of eating disorders in my year that nobody mentioned or did anything about) and the teaching was patchy – I guess they could rely a bit on the students (and parents) to make sure the girls got great results, and the lessons didn’t *need* to be engaging. The teachers knew their stuff but the teaching methods were often not that interesting, nor did I learn the foundations of, for example, mathematic principles – I was just taught how to pass tests. Whilst I did do very well in my exams – and not understanding the whys as well as the hows didn’t bother me at the time - it did factor in to the decision for DD. I wanted her to go somewhere she’d get a love for subjects, and so far, it’s worked! Early days, though...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now