C&S, Beth's and Bexley Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bobmumof3

C&S, Beth's and Bexley Grammar

Post by Bobmumof3 »

As we now have ds results we can think about all Bexley Grammars. I've never been to Beth's or Bexley Grammar so I'd be interested for your comparisons.

I'm not worried about league tables etc. it's about the quality of teaching. Is it inspirational? Is there a community atmosphere?

We will be going to the Open days now but personal thoughts and reflections would really be helpful.

Thanks so much.

P.S. I've worked out a good journey for all 3, not ideal as we are the other side of Bromley, but doable I think!
Bobmumof3

Re: C&S, Beth's and Bexley Grammar

Post by Bobmumof3 »

I should say the limiting factor for C&S for me was the fact they teach in mixed ability forms for 2/3 years.
I personally would prefer setting in particular for maths as even in all the selective children there will be huge differences in ability.
Thanks x
LS3

Post by LS3 »

In BGS they set in maths within the first half term of year 7.
Other subjects are taught in tutor groups in year 7 & 8, then set in year 9.
My experience is one of happy children, any problems being discussed and sorted out quickly and fairly, a huge amount of extra-curricular activities in all areas, a brilliant house system, mainly inspirational teachers and definitely academic excellence.

I have an opinion of BETHS, but it is just that. An opinion. I'm sure you will hear fors and against for both. When looking, think estate agent talk and try and read between the lines. Your gut instinct and what fits your child is the way to go imho :) Good luck!
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

DD1 is at C&S, year 9. She was streamed for maths during the first term of year 7. Sience is streamed when they go in to year 9. It is hard if not impossible to stream from day one. Which set of test results are schools supposed to base themselves on? Some kids who were tutored up to the eyeballs may seem the brightest at the beginning of the year but this usually levels out quickly. Think it is much fairer to stream as they go along.

DD is very happy at C&S can't fault it so far. Having said that really like BGS. We chose C&S mainly because the journey is far the easiest. Think which ever one of the GS you go for it will be a good school. I'm sure that some of the parents who's DC is bright but didn't pass would be more than happy to settle for any of the GS.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Very important consideration - BGS will only be doing the IB from Sep 15.
You might think that 6th form is a long way away. It isn't. I remember, like it was yesterday, getting the 11+ results, we are now filling in the Ucas form!
You can change 6th forms BUT external applicants must achieve far higher than internal applicants due to over subscription criteria.
BGS is a fantastic school and my dd is doing the IB, but I would also recommend Beths and C & S for A levels.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Thanks for the replies. Interesting that Maths is set in the autumn term, I obviously asked the wrong maths teacher!
lefol

Post by lefol »

My ds is at Chis and Sid and I have been really impressed with everything about the school. They do set them for maths and science and the good thing is that those in lower sets are told equally they should aim for As and A* in maths and science. It might just be luck , but Ds has an excellent maths teacher.

They are tested regularly in science , end of unit test which is also good. You may be able to access the extra curricular activities on the portal and the recent GCSE results. For pupils keen on extra curricular activities there are loads on offer, just click on the link on the portal and you will find the weekly schedule. They have good trips to Spain, Barbados if you can afford it. They are not compulsory but we do try to send ds to one a year , its cheaper than the same trips at his brother's school !

All the grammar schools are good and there are also some very good comps in Bexley, some of which are faith schools. I do not like comparing grammar schools as some may find it upsetting, especially those who have narrowly missed the selective cut off, but I must say that despite my pedantic nature , I have not been able to find anything wrong with the school . The older one is at a local indie and I have been impressed with Chis and Sid . They have 30 to 32 pupils per class and despite class number , communication is still excellent and they had 100% A*- C gcse result this year . The cohorts are different in each school from year to year and therefore all the grammar schools tend to vary in their results.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

All the grammar schools are good and there are also some very good comps in Bexley, some of which are faith schools. I do not like comparing grammar schools as some may find it upsetting, especially those who have narrowly missed the selective cut off
I'd like to echo Lefol's comments.

Also, comparing exam results alone doesn't give an accurate picture. The Head at BGS will make no apology for deliberately choosing the most difficult GCSE syllabus. He admits that this means that on occasions the GCSE results might be pipped to the post by other schools, but the 6th formers will be more able to cope at either A level or IB.