Bexley 11+ result ... RESULTS DAY!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bexleyheathmum3

Re: Bexley 11+ result

Post by Bexleyheathmum3 »

On this forum (was a while a go now ...) but when I say Birmingham's highest mark I believe I refer to a table with various grammar schools in Birmingham (or surrounding counties) on it and the range of marks needed by each school (or consortium :?: ) to be considered for a place. I then worked out the standardised score against the maximum score and arrived at 72%. Sorry, I can't locate the table now or I would post it for you to see. (I'll look later on)
Last edited by Bexleyheathmum3 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bexleyheathmum3

Vaani2003 - Are you willing to post your email on here? :)
loonymum

Post by loonymum »

Do the schools know the bexley result already or do they hear at the same time as parents?
vaani2003

Post by vaani2003 »

there is nothing to hide, neither do i and neither do they :)
1st Email

All applications for children to be tested were made online, and all results have been sent by post today. We will not release information by email. If you letter has not arrived by the time you receive your post on Friday, please call us on 020 8303 7777 to arrange for a copy letter

2nd Email

This information is all detailed in the results letter. The selective threshold has been set at 214, and top 180 is 249.
Kind regards
Last edited by vaani2003 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loonymum

Post by loonymum »

vaani2003 wrote:All applications for children to be tested were made online, and all results have been sent by post today. We will not release information by email. If you letter has not arrived by the time you receive your post on Friday, please call us on 020 8303 7777 to arrange for a copy letter
I would have gone stir crazy if I arrive home on Friday and there is no post and you have to wait for a copy letter :roll:
I suppose it could be worse, at least there is not a postal strike!
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Bexleyheathmum3 wrote:On this forum (was a while a go now ...) but when I say Birmingham's highest mark I believe I refer to a table with various grammar schools in Birmingham (or surrounding counties) on it and the range of marks needed by each school (or consortium :?: ) to be considered for a place. I then worked out the standardised score against the maximum score and arrived at 72%.
It's a very common misconception - but you can't just translate a standardised score into a percentage! It is a function of the average score, and the standard deviation in the scores, so on the same test two different cohorts, if they were standardised separately, could potentially produce two different maximum standardised scores.

The whole point of a standardised score is that it irons out the differences between easier and harder tests such that the average score will always be 100 - or if you are aggregating two standardised scores it will be 2 x 100.

214 would equate to a pass rate of about 30%. But you can't tell anything from that about what percentage of questions had to be answered correctly to achieve it.
Bexleyheathmum3

Okanagan wrote:
Bexleyheathmum3 wrote:On this forum (was a while a go now ...) but when I say Birmingham's highest mark I believe I refer to a table with various grammar schools in Birmingham (or surrounding counties) on it and the range of marks needed by each school (or consortium :?: ) to be considered for a place. I then worked out the standardised score against the maximum score and arrived at 72%.
It's a very common misconception - but you can't just translate a standardised score into a percentage! It is a function of the average score, and the standard deviation in the scores, so on the same test two different cohorts, if they were standardised separately, could potentially produce two different maximum standardised scores.

The whole point of a standardised score is that it irons out the differences between easier and harder tests such that the average score will always be 100 - or if you are aggregating two standardised scores it will be 2 x 100.

214 would equate to a pass rate of about 30%. But you can't tell anything from that about what percentage of questions had to be answered correctly to achieve it.

Thank you for explaining this :)

Am I right in reading the maximum score in Bexley was 280 (in other words, the tests are out of 280 overall) therefore making the threshold for being selective 214/280 (76%) From your post it would appear not. In which case knowing the threshold is 214 doesn't mean anything :?:

Sorry, know I should really wait one more night ... :shock:

Thanks for your assistance Okanagan!
Bexleyheathmum3

Ziggy wrote:
Bexleyheathmum3 wrote:
vaani2003 wrote:We will all know this tomorrow but here is this years
The selective threshold has been set at 214, and top 180 is 249

cheers and all the best !

Vaani2003 Is this the threshold for this years 11+? If so, how have you found this out?

If we now know the threshold for a pass, does anyone know how many children were deemed selective? I wonder if it was more or less than last year. I know Bexley always deem far more selective than there are grammar places for as so many children also sit the tests in other areas and don't apply for Bexley grammar schools if they pass their home authority test.

http://www.bexley.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Bexleyheathmum3 wrote:Am I right in reading the maximum score in Bexley was 280 (in other words, the tests are out of 280 overall) therefore making the threshold for being selective 214/280 (76%)
Maximum standardised score of 280 across two subjects or papers sounds about right. But you can't convert that into a percentage as it isn't a linear relationship.
Bexleyheathmum3 wrote:From your post it would appear not. In which case knowing the threshold is 214 doesn't mean anything :?:!
214 means that approx 30% will pass. That's the only percentage you need to be concerned about. Forget percentage correct - you simply can't tell from a standardised score. Whether the average raw score was 10% correct or 90%, the average standardised score would still be 100 per paper/subject.
LS3

Post by LS3 »

Understood - Thank you :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now