Travel from sidcup to dartford grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hardworkingmum

Travel from sidcup to dartford grammar school

Post by Hardworkingmum »

Are there any school buses for this school?
If not, how long does it take to travel by bus from sidcup and which number ?
Any help with above greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
ToadMum

Re: Travel from sidcup to dartford grammar school

Post by ToadMum »

Hardworkingmum wrote:Are there any school buses for this school?
If not, how long does it take to travel by bus from sidcup and which number ?
Any help with above greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
No idea about school buses, but this might help:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround ... p-2229.pdf

You could try a search on National Rail for train journeys as well, if you are near a station?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Hardworkingmum

Post by Hardworkingmum »

Thank you toadmum ;-)
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Have a look at this too. DS gets a coach to DGS which picks up in Sidcup on the way.

http://nkst.co.uk/timetables.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Filitosa96

Post by Filitosa96 »

My son has gone by train to DGS since the beginning of Y7 on the Sidcup line. I would give that serious consideration too. He has encountered a handful of cancellations/disruptions and when he was smaller there were always older DGS boys keeping a discreet friendly eye on the new ones. He had his games kit rescued from the train once or twice!
They can get off at Crayford and get the 96 up the hill (lazy boys) or in Dartford and walk up West Hill
Hardworkingmum

Post by Hardworkingmum »

Thank you filitosa96. I would have thought they were too young for train journeys? However, if more kids are doing it I would consider it too. We are not far from the train station. I haven't done the CAF form yet, before putting it down as first choice I wanted to know how other kids were travelling to it. We also haven't seen the school yet. Our decision will be made after seeing it and I know it's a fantastic school.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

The 492 bus route runs from Sidcup Station to Dartford, I expect the journey time would take about 45 minutes during the morning rush hour.
Filitosa96

Post by Filitosa96 »

Hardworkingmum, there are lots of boys and girls on that train (I see it setting off as I head off to work in the other direction!) going to BETHS, DGS, DGGS and even Townley. I think it's quite a sociable way to travel and, in some ways, I am more comfortable with it for him than buses. Somehow kids seem to behave better on a train in my experience.
We did some practice journeys in the summer holidays and I made sure he was familiar with bus alternatives if the trains let him down - as muggle says, the 492 is a good option, or there is the 96 to Bexleyheath where you can change.
I know what you mean about worrying about them being too young, ds is a summer child and was very small for his age in Y7. But I don't regret opting for the train, it is so much quicker than a coach and more flexible if they do sports and clubs after school.
I think some parents go for coach in Y7 and start them off on public transport in Y8 - there suddenly seem to be loads of DGS boys at New Eltham station, last year it was ds and one boy in Y11!
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

I would second the suggestion that the train is better than the bus. My son catches the train on that line to Beths and, having seen the scramble for the buses, has always said that he is much happier on the train. It isn't crowded, they all chat to each other (even from different schools) and it is much quicker. He made his best friend on the train in Year 7 and they are still best friends in Year 11. You do have to pay for it though!
Hardworkingmum

Post by Hardworkingmum »

Thank you all for your information :-)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now