Disappointed - Townley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MerlinFromCamelot

Re: Disappointed - Townley

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Was wondering how your DD is getting on now OP. Hope things are a better now.

Although we have already decided on a school DD is not best pleased most DC in her class have done loads of school visits and we have only done 1 so far. So will visit Townley tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it, probably because I'm a nosy person.
sata

Post by sata »

Adjusting to grammar school life is not an easy thing for kids, regardless of whether the children have the best supportive parents or not. Our daughter was very dissatisfied initially at Newstead Wood school and always complain about her dislike for most girls in her year 7 group. As a teacher-parent, my advice to her have always been straightforward, that is "try and align yourself with girls you feel are sure are kind to you". There have been incidents of direct racism at the school and for which a group or set of girls was blatantly being racist to the other set, but it was dealt with very well by the school's administration. This comes in as no surprise to me as I personally feel that in a competitive and multi-cultural society like Britain, you will always find those who would want to use others as a scape-goat for their misfortune.

I will not recommend that a child is taken out of a grammar school environment except in a situation whereby there is direct harm threat or harm to the child's well-being. The environment is very tough and this is a test of their endurance and that they should not give up because they feel situation is tense. At the moment, I feel that my daughter is beginning to be more settled in Yr8 as she now has a good set of friends she associate with and which is the best way forward for her.
MerlinFromCamelot

I was just wondering how the OP's DD was getting on.

For what it is worth I have a DD at GS who never had a problem adjusting and has not experienced a culture of bullying at the school. Her friends also seem to have made a smooth transition so I would hope it is only a small minority who find it hard adjusting.

Hope all is well now OP.
Juancurt

Post by Juancurt »

Hi all,

A year on from when things started to get tricky and my DD is doing great.

I moved her to a comprehensive where her sister had a place (DD is now in year 8 and younger DD year 7). Its close to home so her journey is short and her friends all live in the immediate vicinity which has helped.

I can honestly say it was the right decision, my DD is excelling (amazing school report) in all subjects. She has chosen her GCSE options and will start them in September. The pastoral care is excellent and she is loving studying again.

As a parent that's all you want a happy child achieving their potential.

I am sure Townley continues to be an excellent school but it just wasn't for us.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Happy to hear your daughter is doing so well and that she's happy.
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

So glad to hear things have turned out well for her. Best of luck for the future (though it sounds like she doesn't need it!)
MerlinFromCamelot

Pleased everything worked out for your DD OP. Happy children usually do better! All the best for the future.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now